bodypilot90

if no repack cycle, how often whould you I & R

For me it would be completely circumstantial and boil down to what environmental punishment my gear had been subjected to.

From any combination of the following: long term humidity, to a light drenching in water once or occasionally, or the occasional long term heavy heat or extreme cold or possibly the occasional long term heavy compression, and or was my rig affected by a new or old PSB or passably one that should have been, but never was publishes because everyone knew about it at the time?

ONLY YOU KNOW WHER YOUR GEAR HAS BEEN?

If subjected to none of the above, like in a perfect world or close to it, then some will work for over a lifetime, some will not.

All of the factors I’ve mentioned above are mostly the responsibility of you and no mater what your re-pack cycle is, it’s your life to live any way you wish. Be smart and enjoy it. Just don’t blame anyone but yourself if you ignore any of the fore mentioned and get hurt.

What are you comfortable with?

Jeff

I would repack once a year unless I knew something happened that would necesitate a repack. I would inspect and maintain the other components just as frequently as I do now.

For instance I try to clean my cutaway cables at least once a month.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

ONLY YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR GEAR HAS BEEN?

that has always been what i say when some riggers state we must stay at 120 days because what if x,y,z happens on the 121 st day. X,Y,Z may happen the same day as the repack. If a skydiver goes swimming with his rig on and decides to jump it with out a repack, who is to blame?

Get to know your gear folks the life you save may be your own. :|

I voted by number of jumps. My rig was manufactured in June 2005, and it's had seven repacks, and only has a little over a hundred jumps total, twenty by me. Seems like a lot of repacks for the number of jumps on it. I have no idea of what number I'd use for a limit though.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

I'm a rigger and voted 180 days, but here's a more detailed thought process:

For the typical jumper, once a year is plenty, but for the very active jumper, perhaps more often due to wear and tear, especially in southern DZ's with a lot of dust, saltwater, UV, thornbushes...

I would say 1 year or 500 jumps, whichever comes first.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."