Squeak

Computer hyperlink problems

I have to do a presentation to Notre Dame Uni, about how I work (Teacher).
I have a few online webpages, that I use for my students.
When I acess them from my hard drive, the links do not lead to where they should.
All the links show they are active, and if I cut and paste the links into the URL bar they work fine, but they will not navigate to the pages when clicked on.
The pages are docs, and webpages, the webpages are made in Dreamweaver, and running on Office XP
Any ideas folks??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak, if you want to send me one of the files, I can figure out whats going on. If you have MSN messenger or AIM, PM me your handle.

I'm not a web expert, but it sounds like you have file paths as your hyperlinks, since you're running the web pages off your local disk. If you copied those pages from another disk area, the hyperlinks may have not been updated. Edit the HTML files with Notepad and check that the file paths are valid.
We are all engines of karma

In some versions of Word or Powerpoint, you have to hold down the CTRL key while clicking on a link to activate it. I'm not sure how to turn this option off, but it's bugged me more than once during a presentation and the damn links didn't work until I did that.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

this is a screen shot of one of the entry pages, down the bottom is the link reference, which is correct.
if I open it in either Frontpage or Dramweaver, all the links work and point to new windows (as targets). when the files are accessed as webpages from out intranet all links work fine. It's only when I try and access the pages as an internal presentation that they dont work.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I would guess it to be a path issue. Does the file
c:\SevenOaks\Fast Track flexi\WebCT FTF\WEBCT Documents\Stage 1\Reading S1\ReadingS1.htm exist?

If you click start -> run and paste that path into the run box. Hit enter. If it says "blah blah blah refers to a location that is unavailable" it means the hyperlink points to the wrong spot.

ALL the links are correct and they all work when online. they even work from a remote drive. The only place hey dont work from is my C drive on my lap top, which unfortunately is what i wiull be taking to the presentation.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This is starting to make some sense.

So the pic that you posted, is that from your laptop that IS NOT working?

You say it DOES work when viewed online. What computer are you using to view the web page? What is the URL of the online link?

It sounds like to me that there is a broken link someplace, or you're not accessing the document from the root of the web tree. those "./" and ".//" can be bastards sometimes.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

ok I have copied the entire folder from the web directory, all the links are pathed corecctly. (I can insert the link to a url bar and the page loads no probs at all, so the link is right.
What's not right is that clicking the link does nothing. all the link addresses are correct.
I tried it on a differnt lap top and got the same result.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This is starting to make some sense.

So the pic that you posted, is that from your laptop that IS NOT working?

You say it DOES work when viewed online. What computer are you using to view the web page? What is the URL of the online link?

Same computer to view online
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ALL the links are correct and they all work when online. they even work from a remote drive. The only place hey dont work from is my C drive on my lap top, which unfortunately is what i wiull be taking to the presentation.

I understand what you are trying to do, but its not always as easy as copying and pasting from a remote location to your local drive. :P

I understand that you have a working online web page, I also understand that you want to copy the whole thing locally to your disk so that you can do a presentation without being tied to an internet connection.

I'm more than happy to help you sort this out, but not knowing you personally, we gotta get through the obvious stuff so we are on the same page. I assume you're getting a "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" message when you try to click a link from the local copy?

I'm about to hop on the bike and head home. If its still a problem in a little bit, send me a PM, Email, or IM:

AIM: SlurpT
MSN: [email protected]

I'm more than happy to help you sort this out, but not knowing you personally, we gotta get through the obvious stuff so we are on the same page. I assume you're getting a "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" message when you try to click a link from the local copy?

I'm about to hop on the bike and head home. If its still a problem in a little bit, send me a PM, Email, or IM:

AIM: SlurpT
MSN: [email protected]

That's just the problem, I dont get a message at all. absolutely nothing happens when I click the links, no error messages, no nothing, it doesn't even change the cursor to an hour glass.
That's what's got me stumped
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

for grins, I'd make a copy of the directory and presentation so I didn't thrash the original. Then I'd pull out the spaces in both the directory naming and the url link in your document. I'd personally use underscores if I needed to have a break in the naming

edited to add:
If you HAVE to have the spaces, enclose the whole url with quotes or double quotes.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Squeak,
I'd totally be interested in seeing the code you've got going on. You're right, that is strange the links are rendered but not able to be clicked. Can you right-click them and go to properties or does it simply show up as the blue text that "looks" like its supposed to be a hyperlink?

Maybe you could email me that stage1.htm file so I could have a look? I know that WYSIWYG editors like Word, Front Page, Dreamweaver can tend to bloat code, which may confuse the browser... I might even sugest trying a different browser, like firefox and see if you reproduce the same results.

Squeak,
I'd totally be interested in seeing the code you've got going on. You're right, that is strange the links are rendered but not able to be clicked. Can you right-click them and go to properties or does it simply show up as the blue text that "looks" like its supposed to be a hyperlink?

Maybe you could email me that stage1.htm file so I could have a look? I know that WYSIWYG editors like Word, Front Page, Dreamweaver can tend to bloat code, which may confuse the browser... I might even sugest trying a different browser, like firefox and see if you reproduce the same results.

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak, can you check this out for me? right-click the stage1.htm file and go to properties. In the properties box, does it give you an option to unblock?

EDIT:
Also. At the top of this file (starting at the second line) I replaced the following code:

xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

With this code:

I'm not sure if that is going to screw up what you are trying to do or not, but it seems like the schemas are butting heads

soory but i dont have the secutrty /unblock association.
there is nothing beneath attributes
Thanks for all you help, but I'm over it now.
I'm just going to load up the diferent windows seperately, and just switch between windows.
I'll just file this episode in the too hard bin for now.:ph34r::ph34r:

I do appreciate your time and effort though:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?