Blassiter

Buying a partial rig

I am new to skydiving and about to start working on my "A". I spoke with some people a little while back about this but I just thought a little more about it so I thought i would ask.

I know I want to buy my own rig and I know that I should wait until I have some experience so i know what I like and what best fits my skill level. But the one thing I was thinking of was buying some stuff that(in my opinion) wouldnt really matter so much depending on my skill level. Things such as an AAD. container, altimited etc.. From everything I have read I dont believe these would really need to be replaced depending on my skill level. Would this be a good idea or am i completely wrong?

IThings such as an AAD. container, altimited etc..

Most people go through 2-3 rig changes getting to a container size they're going to stick with indefinately.

So unless you have an odd body shape or height/weight combination you want a used container; and even then it may still be much less expensive (especially with articulated harnesses) to have a used rig resized than buying new.

An altimeter would be a fine purchase. No reason to get an AAD or container now. I'd recommend a quality analog altimeter. Reasonably inexpensive and could last your entire jumping career.

Dave

just because i dont know, why would you not recommend buying an aad/container?

Containers have to be sized for the canopies you'll put in them. So until you know what size main and reserve you will want, you shouldn't buy a container. Also, you will likely be able to find a complete rig when you're ready to buy something, so you won't have to find the separate pieces.

You could buy an AAD, but it's likely that the AAD you buy will have a life limit and required maintenance. No reason to have an AAD sitting around losing value and life when it's not being used.

Dave

I would also suggest you spend some time with your instructors and a good local rigger discussing what size and type container, main and reserve would be suitable for you when it's time to buy them. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get your first rig and consider buying used and a dark color for the first one. You are probably going to do some butt sliding and perhaps worse until you get your landings down.

....You are probably going to do some butt sliding and perhaps worse until you get your landings down.

Blassiter!
Do NOT do any butt-sliding. You learned PLF - do that instead. Get your landing gear down and roll it out a la PLF.
Butt-sliding can lead to broken tailbones, crushed discs, and fractured vertebrae.

Butt-sliding scares me.

Back to equipment:
You can buy now:
1. Analog altimeter (new)
2. Helmet (new/used)
3. Gloves (new)
4. Goggles/Eye protection (new)
5. Jumpsuit (well-used and ultra-cheap)
6. Flat-bottomed shoes (new...used = :D:D)
7. Beer
8. More beer

Things to wait on:
1. Digital altimeter (new)
2. Helmet appropriate for your discipline of choice. (new/used)
3. New, fancy jumpsuit appropriate for your discipline of choice.
4. Container of your choice (new/used free-fly friendly)
5. Main canopy of your choice (new/used)
6. Reserve canopy of your choice (new/used)
7. AAD
8. Gatorz
9. Jump tickets for your new skybabe that you will get when it comes your turn.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Do NOT do any butt-sliding. You learned PLF - do that instead. Get your landing gear down and roll it out a la PLF.
Butt-sliding can lead to broken tailbones, crushed discs, and fractured vertebrae.

Endorsed, reinforced, and applauded.

Regarding your list... the only change recommendation I would make is to place the Reserve as a purchase above the Main. As you and I agree - we ain't jumping the main; we're jumping the reserve.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

just make sure the container is a good one and the aad is a cypress. containers would be: vector 3, mirage, voodoo, wings, infinity those are the best that comes to mind right now.

Nearly anything built in the last 10-20 years will be safe for whatever sort of skydiving you want to do provided that the service bulletins have been complied with. Javelin, Relfex, Dolphin, Talon, Qausar, Naro (PISA Javelin knock-off). Both resale value and price will be less for some containers.

Comfort is more a function of how the original owner's measurements match yours than the brand you pick.

I have owned both javelin and dolphin and was not satisfied with either. My point is that there are containers that I mentioned that are used and cheap and are a heck of a lot more functional than all the ones that you have mentioned. Why pay the same or more for a less functional container?
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I have owned both javelin and dolphin and was not satisfied with either. My point is that there are containers that I mentioned that are used and cheap and are a heck of a lot more functional than all the ones that you have mentioned. Why pay the same or more for a less functional container?

All of those containers accept AADs. All will stay closed and retain toggles in any body position provided that the canopy size is appropriate. That's not less functional.

I paid $700 for my last Javelin + reserve (< $400 for the container) which you're not going to match on a Mirage.

An extra few hundred dollars will do more for your flying spent on block tunnel time than a "better" rig.

my javelin was made in 01 and it always had main flap open while sit flying and I have seen others with their riser covers open while head down. Yes, my canopy was sized correctly for that rig. Your are right the mirage is more expensive but you can find most any other of the above mentioned containers for a very reasonable price. I would rather not be worrying about my gear in freefall and have the extra piece of mind. I got a v3 made in 04, container reserve '04 and cypress '03 for $2000, added a viper 150 main with low jumps on it and was good to go. Best rig on the market wi cyp and pd reserve and great main for under 2500, I think that is a very reasonable deal and I will not have to buy another one probably ever. The point that I am trying to get by is that a lot of people gettign out or something will sell their gear for good deals and they are out there if you keep and eye out. You can also get some of the best rigs on the market in those deals. That is the main point I am trying to get out there
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

...Why would I want to buy an analog altimeter now and a digital one later? why not just buy the digital one now?

A couple of reasons, IMHO:
1. You are being trained now with an analog. Keeping it going with an analog after completing training is a good thing.
2. You may never need/want a digital later.
3. If you ever DO need/want a digital, you will have:
a) a back up already handy...just in case.
b) a second altimeter for disciplines recommending one.
4. Analogs are somewhat cheaper.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239