boinky

When You Need to Check the Spelling/Definition of a Word, Do You:

I have a paperback dictionary sitting right next to me on the desk. Before I post, I almost always check to make sure the grammar/spelling is correct.

I have friends who ask why I don't use an online dictionary, but if you don't know how to spell it...how in the hell is that online dictionary going to help? At least if I have a general idea...I can find it in the book.

Or else, I'm just old as dirt and like to do things the old fashioned way. :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

The online dictionary is pretty smart--it will say:

Sorry, no entries found for "XxthSssoulslth"

Did you mean, "Snake"?

Why YES! That's exactly what I meant:P

I use both.

I have a paperback I've had since I was 6 and keep it under the couch for when I'm reading and come across a word I don't know.

I need a new one though. The scary thing is, my copyright 1986 dictionary is what I used all through college, too:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

i'm two phat and lazy to luk that shit up. if it's rong, i don't care much. :D it's not like i'm terning in my dyssertation heare. and besides, i'd rither be kwicker w/ responses than akurate w/ speling. ;)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

my copyright 1986

Ha-Ha! My dictionary is newer than yours! :P It was copyrighted in 1989!!!! :D

Maybe I need to get a new one too, huh? Just think of all the new words we'd have access to. B|
Nina

I am also lazy and I don't look up spelling unless it is on the top of the screen on my computer under ABC with the old check mark next to it. I do have a dictionary my grandma gave me a long time ago which collects dust.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I just use google typically for spelling. Just type the word into the search area and hit search. Google will come back with "do you mean..." and its right. That or Dictionary.com. I'll have the word spelling correct or the definition looked up by the time you get to the correct letter in the dictionary.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You can probably guess which answer I chose.

*Please let it be the book dictionary*

Well, I do *have* one of those, but I don't think I've pulled it off the shelf since I bought a Scrabble dictionary. (It used to get used to check the validity of a word during Scrabble, which really doesn't work all that well since it contains all kinds of non-legal Scrabble words).

I'll have the word spelling correct or the definition looked up by the time you get to the correct letter in the dictionary.

Don't bet on it! ;) But for me...it's not ALL about the speed.
Nina

Oooooooohhhhhhhh.....you like to play Scrabble? :)
I play Scrabble on line with various friends. Wanna' be my friend, too? >:( The site charges a measly $10 a year to play unlimited games, but after the first free game...you HAVE to pay to play. Supposed "site maintenance."

If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you the details. And no...I have no affiliation with the site, so I'm not making anything off this by telling anyone about it.
Nina

I go through phases when I'm really into it. Right now isn't really one, unless I'm hanging with my dad. It's a thing with the two of us. He's interesting to play with - he's got a heck of a vocabulary but can't spell for shit, so we play with a fairly lenient set of rules (if I challenged every time he misspelled a word, I'd win every time. Instead, he's allowed to check spelling with me or with a dictionary before he puts something down).

Yup, I play with my honey on line. I'm very lenient on letting him use stuff I KNOW shouldn't be used, like abbreviations and some short foreign words. For me, it's all about having fun...not about the rules. Besides, there are some fringe benefits every now and then! :)

But if I play with anyone else, I usually tend to stick to the normal rules.
Nina

I >:( Scrabble.

Isn't it ironic?:P

And yet I still play...:S Only b/c I don't have Checkers. Now THERE'S a game I can get into. Queen me!;) Double-jumped your bootay! You want some of this? You want this spot so you can get a little crown? Tough. My bootie's not moving.

Yes, I'm the evil "Never move your back row!" girl:D
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'm a backgammon girl, myself! My ex brother in law used to call me "Nasty Nina" because I played so evilly! >:(
Nina

Google's Toolbar is pretty intuitive when it comes to spell checking. Grammar, I'm just an idiot and there's no help for my sentence structure. As long as the words are spelled correctly, normally you know what I'm trying to say.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

http://www.miriamwebster.com/
is a good online dictionary with other word info too.

marc

I find it terribly amusing that Merriam-Webster has purchased up a MISSPELLED version of their domain name that still takes you to the right site.

That's so fucking meta.:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke