JohnRich

A Life Milestone

I go on summer vacations with my family; brothers & sister, children, grandchildren, in-laws, step-whatevers, the whole bunch. I've always paid the way for my kids and their families, as they've always been struggling in the past to make ends meet financially. We are now just two weeks away from this year's summer vacation, on a South Carolina island. Well, in the planning we were figuring out how to divide the cost of the rental house for the week, and my share was going to be $700. No problem.

Then my oldest son chimes in and says: "Hey dad, how about letting me cover that cost this time."

Wow! My son is finally doing well enough in life that he can afford to take the torch and carry on!

I'm proud of him, and I feel like it's a major milestone in my life, as well as his, where my kids can now take care of themselves without Dad's help, and they can also take care of others too.

I remember how good I felt when I reached that stage of life about 20 years ago, when I would pick up a $300 dinner tab for the entire bunch, just because I could.

Woohoo! Carry on.

As the father of four (ages 17-24), I'm really looking forward to reaching this milestone. However, I don't see it happening soon. I recently told my oldest daughter that she needed to learn to live within her means. She replied "But Dad, you're part of my means!" :S

Doug

Growing up, I watched as my older sister heavily relied on my parents. Cell phone bills, speeding tickets, what have you. And watching what my parents went thru to help her in any way they could killed me. I decided when I was young that I never wanted to have to ask my parents for money.
Last May my dreams were shattered when a large car expense came up that I couldn't cover. My parents immediately took care of it, and informed me later of it. I owe my parents the majority of 2000 dollars, and I will do everything I can to get them back their money.
Parents are talking about hoping for the day their kids will be able to take the torch, and trust me, some of those kids are probably doing exactly what I am doing. Working as hard as we can to get there too.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

One of my favorite things to do now is spoil my parents any chance I get. They still have the parental instinct to try to pay for things when we go out. Silly parents! Now it's my turn. They so rock.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

As the father of four (ages 17-24), I'm really looking forward to reaching this milestone. However, I don't see it happening soon...

Well, it did take a while. Into their twenties, they would still occasionally ask me to help them cover their rent, or something.

And then there was the time I was being generous and gave my younger son my old car, because he didn't have one, instead of using it as a trade-in. He promptly turned around and sold it, and blew the money on a month-long Costa Rica vacation. Then he didn't have enough money to fly back home and was stranded there, and I had to Western Union him the dough to return to the U.S. Blech! That's the last time he gets one of my cars! Ahhh, kids!

But now my boys are age 34 & 32, and haven't needed financial help for quite a few years. My 34-year-old is already earning money that it took me until age 40 to make. It's one of the pleasures of parenthood to see your kids doing well for themselves, after all the trials and tribulations of raising them.

That’s great to hear man, it is even greater to know you have a close family that likes to do nice things for each other when they can.

Thank you for those kind words, Darius.

I know I've been hard on you sometimes in Speaker's Corner. But please realize that whatever political differences we might have, I recognize that you're really a decent guy. Feel free to throw these words back at me the next time I blast you. :|

Attached: photo of me, my sons, and granddaughters.