mdrejhon

Rainbow Boogie 2006 -- World's First Gay Day at a Skydiving Dropzone (Montreal, July 28-31)

May put "The Fruit Salad" Stiletto in it or maybe a new "Fruit Salad" Katana in it. Yeah one of the lesbian skydivers gave my canopy that nickname and it stuck. Kirsten knows who.

Don't care what you jump as long as you bring a bumper suit so I can see you in the air across from me. Then I'll have to run to the store for a case of beer since it will be the first time we've jumped together - Mr. Fruit Salad Canopy Guy!

That would make an excellent Real Men of Genius beer comercial on the radio!!!

Yeah I'll have to buy a case to, and the beer is strong in Canada. I remember a Happy Hour at Black and Blue at Skybar where I had to darn neer crawl back to the Metro to get back to my hotel.

Speaking of the Tri-Angels, I met a former skydiver at an NGPA event in Palm Springs in January. We were out on the airport tarmac lined up to take a tour of a private 727 when someone brought up D. B. Cooper. This guy mentions that he had jumped from a 727 and had a D. B. Cooper #. We exchanged pleasantries about jumping the 727 and both having D. B. Cooper Numbers. I mentioned the Tri-Angels. He said that he had some contact with the group and also had appeared in that book with you folks. His name is Anthony Johnson and he used to jump at Skydive Dallas. He lives in San Diego now and hasn't jumped in awhile because of a motoring accident several years ago but he said he still has his gear. I also mentioned the boogie in Canada and he wishes us all the best.

Chris

I thought I'd post this here in case some of you are not on the Yahoo group...

Genre magazine has expressed interest in writing up the Rainbow Boogie in their May issue. So they're looking for any and all skydiving pictures that we're willing to contribute. Ideally, they're looking for pictures of US, the gay skydivers. Pictures of us skydiving, hanging out, in freefall, under canopy, whatever.

So check your SD cards, hard drives, or wherever else you keep pictures. Any picture you submit is with the understanding that it may be printed in a national gay magazine and will be without compensation. You may credit your photo.

Now the bad news: the deadline is March 7th in the editor's hands. That means I need to have them a couple days before then. Also, files should be of high resolution, at least 300dpi. Jpegs are preferred and other formats acceptable.

If you have something you'd like to submit, then please email it to me at skydiverbrianATcflDOTrrDOTcom.
If you have a photo credit that's not imbedded in the image, let me know and I'll make sure it gets passed on.

Thanks!

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Oh No now the Racer will be thought of as the GAY rig....:(:P

To be fair, we are also in talks with two other gear manufacturers who did indeed express interest! ;)

Either way, let's be nice to our sponsors!

Mark.. I was just teasing you didn't you see? :P

Hey I want to do my first Base jump, do you guys think that there is a good place around that area to base?
and btw for your peps information, I have put my self on the list to be the " rainbow packer" this sounds aweful haha, but anyway you get my point, so feel free to ask meB|

Brian that picture is soooo much better of you
still can't put picture of me because I dont know how to make em small enough

do you guys think that there is a good place around that area to base?

From what I know, most of the local spots are fairly low antennas. You can check with the Base forum and Tom, but from this BASE-wuffo, a nice span would be a better place for a 1st jump
Remster

From what I know, most of the local spots are fairly low antennas. You can check with the Base forum and Tom, but from this BASE-wuffo, a nice span would be a better place for a 1st jump

I highly recommend that BASE jumpers be mindful of the fact that we are trying to keep good publicity for the event and to keep the event safe and uneventful, with no injuries. I'd hate it for an inexperienced BASE jumper to injure himself off an antenna near the Rainbow Boogie. Perhaps set up a Perrine Bridge or Bridge Day "mini BASE boogie" for another time among the 5 or 6 BASE jumpers I expect to be at the boogie. There could be more than that, but as far as I have heard, about 4 of you are BASE jumpers and I suspect there's about 2 others. There could be even more than that, I'm not sure, as I have not asked everybody if they have made a BASE jump. But enough jumpers to know that there looks to be an unofficial meeting of gay BASE jumpers exchanging stories around the bonfire. ;)

(I do want to BASE someday -- so call me a potential jumping buddy -- but I've decided I need plenty of skydiving experience, and plenty of accuracy canopy control skills and also first taking a course such as Apex BASE.)

I'd hate it for an inexperienced BASE jumper to injure himself off an antenna near the Rainbow Boogie.

Oh sure! That'll keep them off the antennae. Now you'll probably get more of them to register! :S Them BASE jumpers ain't right in the head.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Hey I want to do my first Base jump, do you guys think that there is a good place around that area to base?

Hi there, Quebec is definitly not the right place to try your first base jump. From what I know (which is nothing if any government offical ask) nothing higher than maybe 400'. Bridge day is your place of choice. Mark's ideal of a bunch of us going is interesting.

And here I though I had given up on skydiving!!! >:(
-------------------------------------------------
"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."
-- Oscar Wilde

Bridge day is your place of choice.

I have heard from numerous BASE jumpers that a more productive and less chaotic first jump might be the Perrine Bridge, because they have a less distracting atmosphere and a more permanent BASE school near there, and is open all year long rather than just 1 day, and that the landing areas are much better over there... (Keep in mind there are 100,000 people at Bridge Day!) Even though I do want to experience Bridge Day sometime.

BUT.... I'm a BASE whuffo, so in fact, don't even listen to me -- ask your questions in the BASE forums or at places like Blinc Magazine (a popular BASE website). And definitely look at all the accident videos (to scare you into learning properly.)

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about BASE. ;)

Bridge day is your place of choice.

I have heard from numerous BASE jumpers that a more productive and less chaotic first jump might be the Perrine Bridge, ;)

That's the problem in our relationship....you always contredict me infront of my friends!!! boohooohooo

:P
-- Oscar Wilde

That's the problem in our relationship....you always contredict me infront of my friends!!! boohooohooo

Nah. I'm single. ;)

After all we've been through together? Go ahead. Use me and than through me away!

And this conclude this episode of days of our lives...
-- Oscar Wilde

I hope all you folks know that I think you now need passports to travel in and out of the US to Canada.

Not yet. At least there was no problems when I drove through the border, either for me as a Canadian and a friend as an American.

Things may be different at airports (they are a bit more strict about it at airports).

However, I strongly recommend making sure your passport is current, or getting one if you don't have one. Just to be safe.

I hope all you folks know that I think you now need passports to travel in and out of the US to Canada.

As an American living in Canada I cross the border a lot and keep up on this stuff.

There was a US proposal to make passports mandatory as of 2008. It's not 2008 yet so there's no problem. Also, it looks like it will be watered down before 2008 anyway.

That being said, if you have a passport, bring it! The border guards will let you through with only a driver's licence but they'll growl and point fingers to make you feel bad.

They like making people feel bad. A day without yelling just isn't worth getting up for.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

That being said, if you have a passport, bring it! The border guards will let you through with only a driver's licence but they'll growl and point fingers to make you feel bad.

They like making people feel bad. A day without yelling just isn't worth getting up for.

...Yeah, because the world is there to make you feel good about yourself...[/sarcasm]
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Last October I went to Montreal and Canadian Customs went through my luggage. I guess it's a random thing to say they are doing their job as I had nothing in my luggage that was interesting.

Crossing the border by car is easier though as always they've asked me if I had any guns which I don't and they just say have a good day etc.

Chris