skymama

NYC on a budget

My daughter wants to go to NYC for her 18th birthday in December. I've never been there and don't even know where to begin as to making our plans. Here are my questions...

Which airport should I fly into?
What are the must-sees for a long weekend?
What is just hype and can be passed up?
What area should we stay in so we can get around fairly easily?
Anyone know of an affordable yet safe hotel?
Know any low-cost things to do at that time of year? (we'll go before Christmas)

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You have to see the rockettes christmas show - its fantastic.

Don't fly into Islip - its FAR away :P

Most of the advertised ones are in the metro (better) parts of the area I think - I've never stayed in one that wasn't in a 'good area' or that gave me fast access to the subway - which gets you anywhere/everywhere.

Jen
Arianna Frances

OK... Here we go.

Start by flying into Newark Airport on Continental. They virtually own that airport, so wherever you come in from, you can get a good deal. Book now.

Once there, there are a few places to stay that won't break the bank. There's a Four-Points by Sheraton on 27th St. between 6th and 7th Avenues. That's at the high end of Chelsea, so you won't be paying a fortune, and it's an incredibly safe area, unless you're doing something stupid, like wearing white after Labor Day.

Must-sees: Since it'll be around Christmas, obviously, go see the Tree in Rockerfeller Center. It's totally something worth doing.

Do the 5th Avenue shopping walk, whether you buy anything or not, just to look at the windows. They're always gorgeous, and if you walk North, you can finish the walk with a Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity, on 60th between Lex and 3rd.

Email me to remind me in November, and I'll work on getting you some tickets to Conan or Letterman, whoever is doing live and not repeats in NYC. That's relatively easy to do.

NYC has more museums than Dunkin has Donuts. Why would an 18-year-old like museums? Aren't they "uncool?" Well, depends where you go. Whatever she's into, there's a museum for it. The museum of Sex. The museum of Tenements (how people lived in the 30's.) Anything you could imagine, there's a museum for it in NYC. Find them here.

Finally, give them a night to roam (if she's coming in with a friend and you) by themselves (or just with you, if she's coming in with you only) and roam along Chinatown/Little Italy. Start in Little Italy, walk all around the area, finishing off the night with a cupcake from Magnolia Bakery. The next morning, head back down and have Dim-Sum in Chinatown.

Lastly, feel free to PM me with some more info about what your daughter likes/hates, and I'll put some ideas together for her. Is she a musician? Does she like the arts, drama, dance, whatever? Get her into a rehearsal at Lincoln Center (ask me) or have her sit in on a Drama Class at High School of Performing Arts (The Fame School.)

She into Sports? Hook her up with a Rangers or Knicks game.

Finally, dress warm one morning, and take the A train to 178th St., get out, hang a left, and walk over the George Washington Bridge. Stand in the center of the span, one foot in NY and one in NJ, and stare at the beauty and magnificence that is the city.

:)
-Peter

Also - You can take the AirTrain from Newark Airport to Penn Station. $11.55 a person, vs. $60+ for a cab, and it lets you off at Penn Station Manhattan, 6 very walkable blocks from that Four Points. Also, very close to other hotels, as well.

Some other hotels to consider: The Hilton on 6th Avenue and 54th St..

You could surprise her one night by renting a suite at the W Hotel on 14th St. in Union Square - it'll be pricey as hell, but it's the ultimate in "NYC Chic."

Southwest Airlines flies into all three airports. They have, at the beginning of EVERY month, specials that last for about 72 hrs. During this time you can purchase one way tix for about 49 to 79 $..making a round trip tix next to nothing....BUT you have to go to Southwest.com...they do not come up on Orbitz or Cheaptix...This is how I fly to Philly at least four times a year for next to nothing...go to Southwests web site and sign up for their weekly email...this email will let you know when each special happens...like I said they run a special at the beginning of every month and it lasts for about 72 hours..

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

While I won't propose to give you budget hotel ideas etc (my idea of cheap is cheaper than most people's, and my willingness to put up with stuff is also pretty high). But I had a fabulous time with my then 15-year-old son in NYC a few years ago. We met a friend of his there; went to Buzzfest (he was 15 after all), the Staten Island Ferry, many of the standard sights. An off-Broadway show (carefully picked for 15-year-olds), a fancy dinner, dim sum in Chinatown with a Chinese friend who took us to "the right" place. Sorbetto in Little Italy. Some gazing in Central Park. Walked down 5th avenue, of course, and looked at all the fancy stores. Got to walk through a movie shoot.

We walked a lot of places with no discomfort; with the two of us, we felt quite comfortable in all of lower and middle Manhattan even at night heading back to our hotel. We walked from Chelsea to 42nd street one night and still felt comfortable.

We stayed on 42nd street I think, in a hotel with exceedingly small rooms (I had to turn sideways to get into bed).

And while we took the subway the vast majority of the time, city buses give you a view from aboveground if you want to just look around, and you can take a taxi a short distance too.

Again -- I had a fabulous time, and was OK with leaving my son for short times with his friend while I went off. Since his friend lived there, I was able to talk to her (yes, her) mother and know what was reasonable and what wasn't. The fact that they invited him to come again and stay with them is decent evidence that they made good decisions :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The subway is a cheap way to get around. The standard fare is $2 a trip. Do not pay for single trips. Get a Metro Card sold at the subway stations. You can put many trips on your card. With this card you can also get a one day pass for unlimited travel for $7. Unlimited travel for the week is $24.

If you go to a Borders book store there is a Lonely Planet guide to the USA that will have a ton of information for you. Most Americans only buy travel guides when traveling outside the US. I learned a lot about New York City by reading this guide and I was born there. My friends and family that still live there always ask me to bring “that book” when I visit.

i'll second the suggestion to use airtrain from EWR. TONS cheaper than taking a cab. after leaving EWR, the 2nd stop is penn station.

the W.... mmmmmmm. beautiful.

if you end up in the area and want to warm up, you can check out the private park and the bar of the Hudson hotel on 58th st (between 8th and 9th ave). this is one of ian schrager's properties...very cool. i love this place.

ntrprnr is spot on with his advice. you guys will have a ball. :)

Which airport should I fly into?

Take the bus. You get to meet more interesting people.

What are the must-sees for a long weekend?

Hookers in Time Square and the people living in refrigerator boxes under the bridges.

What is just hype and can be passed up?

Anything that has NYC written on it

What area should we stay in so we can get around fairly easily?

Anywhere south of Charlotte, NC.

Anyone know of an affordable yet safe hotel?

Yeah but it's rented by the hour and it has rubber sheets on the mattress that's laying on the floor.[:/]

Know any low-cost things to do at that time of year? (we'll go before Christmas)

Get a couple of bottles of Gin, walk around Queens and try to identify the automaker of the burned out rusted cars along the right of way.

Have fun.:PB|:D
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

These suggestions are great, everyone. Thanks and keep them coming! :)
I don't mind if we have a small hotel room since we'll be out and about most of the days. I just care that is it clean and safe.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

These suggestions are great, everyone. Thanks and keep them coming! :)
I don't mind if we have a small hotel room since we'll be out and about most of the days. I just care that is it clean and safe.

I don't know your daughter, but I highly doubt an 18-year-old is going to want to see them. The ESB is worth it for the view... Ellis Island is an island. The Statue of Liberty can be seen MUCH better by taking the FREE Staten Island Ferry. Just don't get OFF the ferry and walk around Staten Island - You don't have the proper vaccinations.

Do have at least ONE NYC hot-dog from a vendor, just for the experience.

I gotta disagree on Ellis Island - I found the new (well it was new in 1996 when I went!) visitor's center/museum there to be completely fascinating. Whether an 18 year old would agree is up for debate, but it is more than "just an island."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Statue of Liberty is good on a couple of ferries in the area (walking up all the steps wasn't worth it in my experience, but looking at it is pretty cool) - battery park has some interesting (and free) things going on, but I've only been there in the summer, so it might be different when it's cold. see the rockettes. go to the top of the empire state building - watch out, the hot chocolate is burning hot!! times square is nothing really great, just another part of the city (I'm sure you'll get to it at some point without even trying)...ellis island is ok if you have ancesters who came over there and you know their names (you can find them on a wall) but it's not really that interesting...also if you find that airline tickets are cheaper coming into JFK, they also have an airtran which will take you from the airport to Penn station. Chinatown and little Italy are pretty cool - in chinatown you can buy some nice gucci (and other name-brand) watches and sunglasses for under $10 (you can talk them down too) Make sure you understand the subways before you even go. they will be your best friend. the streets make up some kind of grid - know that before you go. (streets run east and west and their numbers start south and go north. avenues run north and south and their numbers start east and go west)<---- correct me someone if I'm wrong - I know it a lot better than I can explain it...definately get a hot dog from a street vendor. definately go to rockefeller center. take one day to just walk around the city - you'll be completely exhausted so make it the last day, but it's pretty fun going into all the stores and seeing what they have to offer. Safety isn't so much of an issue as it used to be, but if you look like a tourist you'll look like easy pickings - make sure you hold onto your bag if you bring one and keep extra money somewhere else on your person just in case. (at least that's what I would do) - if your daughter is into mtv and all that stuff you could try to get tickets to trl. well, have a fantastic time!!!!!!
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

I went to NYC a few years ago in december. We were very budget minded so we stayed in a hostel right off times square (took 2 mins to walk to the big cup of noodles) Since we paid for all the beds in the room and split it three ways we had our own key and the hostel actually felt safe... that was about 15 bucks a person.

If you shop now you can get tickets for broadway. Or even the rockettes xmas show. Bagels in the morning, light lunch and a decent dinner. The meat on a stick being sold everywhere is actually really yummy. If you go on the staten island ferry, make sure when they say to hold on that you do... I made the wise decision to slide down the railings just as it was taking off and ended up tearing a tendon in my ankle.

As far as plane tickets we went airtran so it was wicked cheap. It was actually more expensive to take the cab from the airport and then back again. Subways are quite safe, there were always several cops there to supervise.

Another thing we did was ask the locals about off the beaten track resturants. China town was the best. Have fun
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Go to the East Village. Very hip area, young people, street vendors. Walk down St Marks Place (8th st between 4th ave and A ish) Fun people watching and cool shops. Stop in for a Soy Burger Dinner at "Dojo's" on St Marks. Good food, for like $4. A locals favorite ;). Grab a cannoli at Ferrara's in little Italy. Go into Katz's Deli just off of Houston, great Pastrami (also in the movie "When harry met sally) but a very unusual, classic deli. Walk down Canal Street. Walk around Soho, go to all the cool clothing and shoe stores. If you're into jewelry, it's always neat to go to Tiffany's or Cartier on 5th up by the park. Duck in Trump Towers while you're up there. FAO Schwartz is there too, great toy store.

A lot of the places I mentioned are places to eat, but it's getting to these uniques spots and the things you'll see on the way that make NYC NYC to me. None of them are very expensive to eat at, less than $8 a person. I guess the Empire State and Statue are musts, but getting away from Times Sq, and into some of these more local places, really give you a unique feel of NYC. Feel free to pm me.

The one thing that you don't want to miss is just bundling up and wandering around... there's so many great neighborhoods in which to do this ... don't be in such a hurry to see "stuff" that you miss the true character of the city, especially as it's getting all dressed up for the holidays. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Boy, pizza and hot dogs. I don't think I'll have a problem convincing her to eat cheaply like that. Perfect for a teenager...I'm not so sure about my waistline though! :ph34r: