Icon134

Stump Scott...

How can I improve my five ball cascade? I seem to be stuck at about 25-30 tosses. I've developed some kind of mental block about the damn thing; right around 25 tosses my accuracy just goes down the drain.>:(

Matt

How can I improve my five ball cascade? I seem to be stuck at about 25-30 tosses. I've developed some kind of mental block about the damn thing; right around 25 tosses my accuracy just goes down the drain.>:(

awe man that's a tough one... ultimately it comes down to practice, practice, and practice...

I also have trouble with my 5 ball cascade... there are a few things you can do to help.

1. Make the pattern taller (i.e. throw the balls higher) this can be somewhat challenging but it does serve to slow the pattern down which can be helpful.

2. Teach yourself to juggle three in one hand... you can either do a cascade type pattern (a very high pattern) or a shower type pattern

3. In my experience the problems with the 5 ball cascade stems from one hand being weaker then the other (either mentally or otherwise) thus causing an imbalance in the overall pattern. This imbalance can be easily compensated for in a three ball pattern but isn't as simple to balance in a 5-ball pattern. To help with this its gonna sound strange but practice your 3-ball cascade blindfolded (I find its easier then just closing your eyes...) doing so will help highlight any potential imbalance and *should* help inprove your overall skill.

Don't beat yourself up too badly... 25-30 Juggles in a 5-ball pattern is very good...

if you want to try something hard try to learn 4 ball mills mess (if you can already do it... I sure am open to pointers...) :DB|

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You havt answered my question yet boyo?

until now you haven't asked a question... boyo... :P go back and look... you made a statement... there wasn't a "?" at the end... I even inquired as to what you were asking.... :D

although now that you have gone back and edited it... (even though there is still no "?" at the end...) I guesss I'll give it a go...

beyond the tilt of the axis... which causes the days to be shorter (i.e. less sunlight) or longer (i.e. more sunlight) there are a number of factors that effect the seasons...

Ocean currents have a large effect on the seasons (but the currents are probably also effected by the amount of time the sun is shining on them in a given day... so the effect is a bit circular...)

In addition, the overall highs and lows are effected by the overall ammount of Carbon dioxide in the air (at least that's what the said on the discovery channel last night... on that global warming special... :D) the more overall CO2 results in a higher temperature and vis a vi...

I hope that does it... but of course I'm more or less just talking out of my ass...

if I'm totally wrong please enlighten me as I'm kind of curious myself... :D

In my experience the problems with the 5 ball cascade stems from one hand being weaker then the other (either mentally or otherwise) thus causing an imbalance in the overall pattern.

I'm thinking about this, and realizing that I've developed a habit of always making the first toss from the right hand, and the final catch in the left hand, which just feels balanced to my mind. This could actually be the root of an imbalance problem. I think you helped me, Scott!:)
4 ball Mills? Are you crazy!?:P

Matt

Why is the sky blue? :|

This is my all time favorite question... (did you know that?)

The sky is blue because of a principle called Rayleigh Scattering... essentially the light from the sun that doesn't pass straight through the atmosphere is refracted such that the light that passes through the atmosphere at the higher angles is blue (although there are actually more UV then blue we just can't see the UV with our eyes...)

I'm going to have to slap your hand on this one....

Yes Rayleigh scattering is the mechanism, but the sky is blue because the chemistry of the atmosphere is dominated by molecular nitrogen.

Replace the nitrogen with say - carbon dioxide - rayleigh scattering is still occurring but the sky will be yellow. Make methane the dominant species - rayleigh scattering is still occurring but we would have an orange sky.

Turns out the natural frequency of molecular nitrogen is in the blue - uv range and that is why it scatters the blue wavelengths preferentially. Actually, nitrogen scatters violet the most but our eyes pick up blue better.

Jump.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Why is the sky blue? :|

This is my all time favorite question... (did you know that?)

The sky is blue because of a principle called Rayleigh Scattering... essentially the light from the sun that doesn't pass straight through the atmosphere is refracted such that the light that passes through the atmosphere at the higher angles is blue (although there are actually more UV then blue we just can't see the UV with our eyes...)

I'm going to have to slap your hand on this one....

Yes Rayleigh scattering is the mechanism, but the sky is blue because the chemistry of the atmosphere is dominated by molecular nitrogen.

Replace the nitrogen with say - carbon dioxide - rayleigh scattering is still occurring but the sky will be yellow. Make methane the dominant species - rayleigh scattering is still occurring but we would have an orange sky.

Turns out the natural frequency of molecular nitrogen is in the blue - uv range and that is why it scatters the blue wavelengths preferentially. Actually, nitrogen scatters violet the most but our eyes pick up blue better.

Jump.

yeah... yeah... that's right... :P

due to the overwhelming fact that icon was wrong in his previous answer all priveleges of answering any question are now revoked.
Sorry dude. :ph34r::ph34r:

Fuck off... I never promised completely correct answers... just answers... and I wasn't entirely wrong... I just forgot about the fact that Nitrogen was the primary component of the atmosphere. :S:D

1. if you beat a packer with a crowbar and nobody is around, does he make a noise?

Yes... unless your wearing earmuffs or are yourself deaf... you can hear the packer...

2. what's the difference between a good take-off, and a bad take-off?

any take off that the plane manages to get above 2500 ft and stays aloft long enough for me to get out is a good take off... in my opinion.

but that's just my opinion...

Why do Texans barbecue cows when everybody in the civilized rib-eating world knows that the best barbecue is made from pigs ?

because in Texas they have a lot more cows then pigs (ok... I don't actually know that... but since a fair number of texans carry guns and I'm scared of guns...) they can do what ever they want to with their cows... :o

because in Texas they have a lot more cows then pigs (ok... I don't actually know that... but since a fair number of texans carry guns and I'm scared of guns...) they can do what ever they want to with their cows...

You really ARE a 'mart' one!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~