kbordson

I wanna new toy!

New GPS. A friend has one and they have a jumpmaster program in it to be able to calculate exit position when entering the landing zone, winds and other stuffs. I tried to go to the website to read more about it. But it seems that they didn't want to use that a sales tool.

It looks to be a very nice unit although that antenna can be a prob, also shop it around a bit and find a good price...ebay?

Also do some testing with one if you can get your hands on it by using Survey Reference Monuments and see what the GPS says vs. a known Lat/Lon position.

Sensitivity variables can cause some erroneous readings, and in the past I have found very small errors in the position reported when still, with a hand held (not really a problem unless youre a surveyor).

We once measured between USGS monuments set by GPS, that were over 30 miles apart and when all was done we had found, and proved that the Monument at the end of the traverse was out of POS by over TEN FEET!

This should not be a factor unless you are doing an accuracy jump or something in an unknown area.(unlikely I hope)

BTW before anyone wants to claim that GPS is perfect and that I am wrong please understand the difference between a spheroid and a geoid in calculating a POS. THAT IS HOW MISTAKES ARE MADE!

Definately not saying that at my experience and ability that I would use that.... but it would still be a cool feature to have.

It would be very cool indeed, I only have an older magellan but I may get a newer one soon that is easier on Batt life and in color.

I love the Digital compass/ Altimeter/ Barometer capabilites

my eTrex VistaC has a Jumpmaster built in as well...

and its small enough to wear... It also has a built in Altimeter (not useful for jumping)

The current version also has a microSD card slot (which means much more maps installed...)

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistacx/
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Oh! GPS's are so cool, last week I plotted a destination from a USGS map in a wilderness area and the thing (garmin 60) got me within feet of it... no trails.

does it work in the plane or do I have to stand in the door while it acquires satellites? I am thinking of mounting it on my arm so I can look at it in freefall.

anyone Geocache here?
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Oh! GPS's are so cool, last week I plotted a destination from a USGS map in a wilderness area and the thing (garmin 60) got me within feet of it... no trails.

does it work in the plane or do I have to stand in the door while it acquires satellites? I am thinking of mounting it on my arm so I can look at it in freefall.

anyone Geocache here?

I am nobody to criticize you for wearing one in FF but I would caution you about doing so as it is very easy to get ("head down/ Fixated") just like pilots can when there is no HUD and too much info.

Talk to your Jumpmaster or one of the best uninjured skydivers at your DZ ok?

PLEASE?

I found the GPSMAP 60CSx for $390 + $20 shipping on EBay, Buy it Now. Consumer Reports covers car versions in this month's edition. The top ones now say street names. Interesting. Thanks!

yep that was a good article...great idea having an audio output that speaks names and direction keeps your eyes on the road.

In the work Van we used to use a largge laptop with the GPS setup it was great but needed a dedicated Navigator.