skyejumper

Keeping in touch with friends who quit jumping

Is it just me, or does it seem like it's really easy to lose touch with skydiving buds who drop outta the scene? :( I've had a bunch of close DZ friends drift away, and now that I think back, it's like, "I wonder what happened to _____?" How often do you still see skydiving buddies who stop going to the DZ?

Maybe their lives are too busy with the stuff that makes them quit (family, work, other hobby). It's kind of a bummer. It seems like lately the turnover in this sport is more than it used to be 10 years ago.

In my case it's more that I don't keep in touch with any of my old friends since I started skydiving. It's kind of sad but I just don't seem to have the time to hang out with the people I used to before I started skydiving.
www.lukeevens.com
http://beachbodycoach.com/lguard8

This can be said about much more then skydiving... I don't know how many aquantences I've lost touch with over the years...

:|

Ditto... acquaintances tend to fade away after a while when they stop doing what you're doing.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We just got back from LP and had a Email waiting from a dude who saw us sign the memorial Book for QL.

He wanted to know if we were the same folks he jumped with in 1971.B|

So you'll never really lose touch with your old friends they'll just pop again when you least expect it.:)
R.I.P.

Generally a group of friends has common interests and enjoys similar activites, which is the reason for being friends in the first place. I think if you make friends in the sport who you didn't know before you started skydiving you'd probably loose touch with them 90% of the time if they stopped jumping and you didn't. Simply because the common activity or interest between you that made you friends in the first place no longer exists.

If you're talking about friends who you made outside of skydiving then thats a bit different. I definitly have far fewer friends outside of skydiving than I use to have but when we do go out for drinks or whatever its still cool since what made us friends in the first place wasn't skydiving. (But whuffo's dont make much sense to me anymore anyway :S)

What's weird is that sometimes you don't notice a certain skydiver is gone 'til they pop up 6 months later, and it's like...heyyy.... where ya been?! I think if people drop out they might feel weird talking to a current jumper because it will make them miss the sport or maybe they're just sick of talking about skydiving (like THAT could ever happen!!!!) :P

I think if people drop out they might feel weird talking to a current jumper because it will make them miss the sport or maybe they're just sick of talking about skydiving (like THAT could ever happen!!!!) :P

Or maybe people that are still jumping just don't answer their damn phone calls or messages anymore...>:(:S

Not good enough for 'em I guess. :S[:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.