Tacky Triathlon fabric, DANGEROUS?

I have two rigs, one which I jump a lot and one (my spare rig) which I jump less often take with me to WFFC every summer. The spare rig had the main packed last August and had been jumped with a year between main repacks several times before with zero problems. I got the reserve repacked a few days ago so I could legally jump the rig and just on a whim paid the rigger to unpack the main (Triathlon 190) and inspect and repack it too. He told me the main was like a solid brick and he had to get help in peeling it open carefully with the fabric being "stuck" together. The reserve was fine. He told me he wondered if the main would have opened when deployed. Once he got it all unstuck and aired out it was repacked and seemed fine. He said TRIs are known to have tacky fabric.
Anyone else run into this? It wasnt just the rigger's opinion. The packer/jumper who helped him unstick the "brick" said he too had serious doubts if it would have opened. he said it was very stuck together and took a lot of time and effort to undo without damaging anything. The F 111 PD reserve was just fine and the rig had not been exposed to liquids or any extreme temperatures.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

our club triathlon went 5months without coming out and when it did it just sat there in the shape of the bag, even though it was only about 70jumps old. it wasnt tacky like you described, but it definately took some encouraging to openin it up. a rigger who just happened to be standing around nearby said although it would have opened eventually it would have been noticably slower and probably spun up due to the inevitable asymmetry of it 'unsticking' itself. ever since then i repack every month, just in case. its only 15mins of my life and it gives me peace of mind

I got the reserve repacked a few days ago so I could legally jump the rig

Nope!

AFAIK 120 days of pack cycle is valid for mains to in US.
If you have any doubts just pack your main. There was some kind of powder used for preventing the material of round mains to stick to itself. I have a Cobalt made from Glevenor fabric. It looks like a brick if it is packed for long.

I have owned 3 canopies made out of that fabric. Triathalon 160, Viper 135, Viper 120. A 120 mile wind shakes things out pretty fast. It would have opened but may have had a slight hesitation or other quirky opening. I do know what you mean by the brick effect, but I bet if you pull the main out of the bag after being packed for only a couple of weeks you'll see the same thing. Previous poster is right, 120 bay repack cycle applies to mains as well as reserves, at least in the US. If you have any doubt about your rigs integrity, pull it out and repack it.

Doug

I bought a Crossfire One 159 that had been stored in a closet for 3 years. It had to be peeled apart also. It is just fine and the most it has been sitting packed up has been about 3 mths and when I pulled it out it showed no signs of how it did when I got it.:)

Sounds familiar.

I used to jump a Tri 135 that had been packed several years; repacked it, never had a problem.

A terminal opening might have been funky, there's spinner potential there indeed, but it didn't seem to affect structural integrity after unpeeling it.
Johan.
I am. I think.