charmsdroppop

9 cell or 7 cell for skydiving

Ok here's my thing.....I demoed a spectre at the convention and loved it. After a few jumps on it I was ready to order one until.......I get advised by somebody else that I should get a 9 cell cuz' 7 cells are more for base. I have plenty base gear and no skydiving gear so I got confused thinking that is not how people consider things anymore. Any way I know I shouldn't go gunho on the first thing I like but .......please give me your opinions. Thank you.
is it dark yet

No I'm not fucking with anyone. I've had gear stolen in florida some years ago and haven't had the desire for awhile or been financialy able to get new gear since then duue to mental complications OK. To hell with my profile ......numbers don't mean shit, it's the quality of a jump. I don't want to get defensive here cuz' people who know me for real know that I'm not A "FAKE" dude. I was just asking what people thought as far as the difference between the 2. So do not ever accuse me of your "profile" crap.
is it dark yet

I think it's all personal preference. The CRW guys use 7-cells (Lightnings) for stability. Less prone to collapse, which I can see given what I've heard/experienced with end-cell closure on Sabre2's.

I chose a Spectre so I could buy a big enough canopy not to kill myself (a 210), be able to order a new H/C downsizable to a 9-cell 170, not to mention it was one of the few 210's in the classifieds.

I have 5 jumps thus far on my Spectre and the transition from 9-cell still feels really strange.

Yeah, Im glad you liking it.
Ya know how there's so many different opinions out there that's it's like you just gotta decide on your own in the long run, Skydivers do not agree very well,,,,,,,,,.with canopies in general. let's just end this whole thread eveyone but also thanks for all the input. ..............later-p
is it dark yet

I love my Pilot. Beautiful openings, always on heading, nice long glide that gets me back from a long spot, nice landings. I also know lots of people who love their Spectres. I can understand why you liked the Spectre when you demo'd it. I suggest you demo the Pilot for a few jumps if you can, so you can get a good feel for a 9-cell, too, and then make your mind up. Bottom line, it will boil down to what feels "right" for you.

Here's my advice. Don't take advice from people who make sweeping, inaccurate generalizations.:S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yea, why? Only to get another person's opinion. I know what I gotta do already.

Thanks NWFLyer for all your comments. Geez why the hell do people have to get snotty on here and mean as if they're ( the greater one). Well here's to the (greater ones)...Don't judge people by thier profile! A lot of them are a joke by very real GREAT people......DUHHHHHH
is it dark yet

9cell or 7cell =B| ,

There are so many different canopies with different characteristics you really do need to do a fair bit of research to get some straight answers.

9cells are still the general trend but 7cells are coming back in favour . Some modern 7 cells have very good performance without the same malfunction issues as some HP 9cell twisters.

Skydivers still don't really trust their lives to 9cells as their reserves are mainly 7cells.

in reply to "Geez why the hell do people have to get snotty on here and mean as if they're ( the greater one)":S

Ask JESUS.;)

I have a Spectre 230 (about 1.35/1).

Love the 1,000 foot openings, on heading. I do have consistent endcell closure, but never anything that doesn't fix itself in a couple seconds.

I would definietly get another.

My understanding, in general, is that 9-cells have a longer glide path than 7-cells loaded similarly. I won't take offense if someone corrects me on this if needed.

Good Luck.
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Ok here's my thing.....I demoed a spectre at the convention and loved it. After a few jumps on it I was ready to order one until.......I get advised by somebody else that I should get a 9 cell cuz' 7 cells are more for base. I have plenty base gear and no skydiving gear so I got confused thinking that is not how people consider things anymore. Any way I know I shouldn't go gunho on the first thing I like but .......please give me your opinions. Thank you.

What a bunch of complete bullshit ! It's true enough that BASE canopies are 7 cells, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a 7 cell for regular skydiving. I love Spectres too, used to OWN one, 'til I switched to a 9 cell Pilot canopy (but that's beside the point). Only difference is whether or not you want a flatter glide or a steeper approach. And 7 cells are easier to land in no wind. There are days when I still miss my Spectre. You get what you want and fuck what anybody has to say about it !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !