karenmeal

I hate insurance.

They are driving me nuts. I am trying really hard to get my knee surgery ASAP so that I have a bit of time to recover before school starts back again. (On the 27th.) I had an MRI scheduled for 6 am this morning to get the ball rolling but I come to find out that the authorization that my Dr. called in to my insurance company did not go through. I call the insurance company and they say that I need to call my doctor. I call my doctor and they say to call the insurance company. Back and forth. I've called each party several times today with no resolution in sight. If it is this hard to get my insurance company to pay for an MRI, how freaking miserable is it going to be to get them to pay for surgery?

Is it always like this when dealing with insurance?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

It can be, yes. Document all your calls (who you talked to, what you talked about, and when). Like Carrie said, if all else fails, make them talk to each other. If you need an auth, ask your doc to make a copy of it for you if possible.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

insurance companys never move fast, even when some other gitt kills your car ! And even though it wasnt my fault Ill still end up out of pocket even when they pay up :-(
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

I do need to start documenting everything, I'm just not good at being organized about that sort of thing. Guess it's time to grow up.

It is just frustrating that this is such a slow process and that it is the patient's job to be the middle man.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

IMHO, your doctor should be more forceful with the issue of the MRI -- especially if you need it. My father just had surgery and I insisted that they schedule the surgery ASAP and they contacted the insurance company and obtained the pre-approval (all within 2 business days). When I had surgery about 4 months ago, my insurance company also paid right away, of course, leaving a hefty $1,500 unpaid -- my deductible.

I have never had many problems even with automobile insurance coverage. I suppose it's luck or just the reputableness of the insurance. In any event, and as NWFlyer said, document EVERYTHING!! That includes names, times you called, dates, etc. Send a stern request in writing as well and fax it to the appropriate department. Good luck and I hope it happens quickly for you!! :)
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

New orleans: Hurrican ins vs flood damage[:/]

Medical insurance: what other people said three way phone call, document & call again. Three ring binder add latest page of claim forms, correspondence, medical records etc to top. automatic chronological filing systemB|

Your young this experience will help you the rest of your life with the challenge of dealing with insurance companies.

R.I.P.

I do need to start documenting everything, I'm just not good at being organized about that sort of thing. Guess it's time to grow up

Seriously, call three-way. Call one and when they inevitably tell you once again to call the other explain you've danced that circle already a few times, and are quite sure they wouldn't mind holding while you conference in the other party.

It's not only funny, but it's always solved my problems.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.