Lindsey

What will a pellet do to a dog?

I think my dog may have been shot with a pellet gun. But I'm not sure. Of course this is on the heels of two boys being arrested after one of them shot a pellet gun at my son and his friend.

But what would a pellet do to my dog? She has an area that's less than 1" where she's raw, and right in the middle a little bitty round hole....about the size of a pellet, a little raised around the borders. It seems odd that she'd be missing hair around the place a pellet hit her though.... I don't know.

Maybe I immediately thought she'd been shot with a pellet gun b/c of that incident with the boys. Maybe that's not what happened at all.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Take her to the airport and make her walk thourgh a metal detector :D

A pellet wont kill a dog unless it gets into an Artery, take her to a vet and get her x-rayed.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

If she were shot she would probably chew the hair off in that area.

I wondered about that too.

I'm not going to take her to the vet for this. The wound is fine, and there's no pellet embedded in her skin. I do know a little bit about how to take care of things like that. I'm just a little bothered about the thought that we may be being retaliated against. I'd like to think that it's not the case....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

depends on the BB gun used. Those cheap spring loaded walmart ones will just sting.

midrange or expensive pellet guns could penetrate a dogs body quite easily. It totally depends on the bullet used too... a BB will just sting... a pointed pellet will penetrate easily.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I think my dog may have been shot with a pellet gun. But I'm not sure. Of course this is on the heels of two boys being arrested after one of them shot a pellet gun at my son and his friend.

But what would a pellet do to my dog? She has an area that's less than 1" where she's raw, and right in the middle a little bitty round hole....about the size of a pellet, a little raised around the borders. It seems odd that she'd be missing hair around the place a pellet hit her though.... I don't know.

Maybe I immediately thought she'd been shot with a pellet gun b/c of that incident with the boys. Maybe that's not what happened at all.

linz

Lindsey a pellet will usually penetrate the skin. It may still be in there. If it is a pellet wound, i'm sure it hurts. Hence the missing hair with the dog rubbing, licking and scratching at the wound.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I'm not going to take her to the vet for this. The wound is fine, and there's no pellet embedded in her skin. I do know a little bit about how to take care of things like that.

Pardon my asking but how can you tell. I used to hunt squirrels and doves with a pellet gun and a shot, even at a distance, would go right through them. Also, air rifles configured to take pellets are typically higher power.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

depends on the BB gun used. Those cheap spring loaded walmart ones will just sting.

midrange or expensive pellet guns could penetrate a dogs body quite easily. It totally depends on the bullet used too... a BB will just sting... a pointed pellet will penetrate easily.

Yep, what I was going to say...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Maybe we should cause bodily harm to you and see how long you last with out medical care. If your kids got shot with a pellet or BB and it was worrisome, wouldn't you take the child to the Dr?:S:P

OBTW...yeah I'm in a pissy mood.

Bobbi

Pssst Bobbi.....Lindsey is a Doctor.
Now dont you feel silly.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Maybe we should cause bodily harm to you and see how long you last with out medical care. If your kids got shot with a pellet or BB and it was worrisome, wouldn't you take the child to the Dr?:S:P

OBTW...yeah I'm in a pissy mood.

Bobbi

Well, given that I AM the doctor, I'd probably take care of my child myself.... :)

I've looked at it closely, cleaned it up. There's no pellet in there. I'm taking care of her.

edited to add: I don't understand where that "bedside manner" comment came from. Have I done something to you?????

linz
--

Linz, I understand why you wouldn't necessarily run her to the vet; I let lots of things go on my feline herd that I'd recommend others take them in for...primarily because most people don't have the experience and know-how to handle a wound on an animal. No issues there, you know?

Here's the thought, though. If it is a pellet that hurt your dog, considering the occurrance of a few weeks ago, I'd be concerned that it was less an accident and more a deliberate action, with the same weapon (albeit different target) as previously.

Simply because of that, I'd go to the vet's and have them document the injury. It may be that it's not a pellet gun, and is, in fact, something else (an impacted bug bite, an ulcerated spot, a "hot spot", or what have you). If it's something else, you can laugh at yourself for being paranoid and overprotective...but if it is a pellet shot, then a crime has occurred...and if you take no action now, saying to an officer later, after the dog has been killed, "I shoulda" is not going to help in a prosecution because there is no independent "witness" that the dog had been targeted before.

How about calling your son's friend's father and getting his opinion on it? It really seems likely that it's retaliatory, and that your neighbors might be having an issue with the arrests that were made a few weeks ago. I'd rather see it get settled now rather than wait for an escalation; and, failing that, getting documentation to show a pattern of behavior should the worst case show up.

And if it is a pellet gun wound, the knowledge that your neighbors' children or children's friends are willing to use weapons on a child and on a dog is an important little factoid...and indicative of some significant psychological disruption and the need for counseling.

I'd pop him over to the vet, just to make sure and get the problems out of my head, you know?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

If one of my pets had been hit by a pellet, I'd be taking it to the vet. Pellets are made from lead, if I'm not mistaken, and if left untreated, leaves the possibility of lead poisoning...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban