fireflytx

Does anyone here know how to add an internal hard drive into a computer that already has a hard drive

I am trying to combine Brains computer and mine. I want to take his hard drive out of his and stick it in my computer that already has a hard drive. I already see where this is going, but besides the jokes can I have some serious answers. I think I know how to do this but I don't want to fuck it up.

Then can I just go in and format the drives separately and keeping all important information on the drive that is not being formatted at the time?
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

I am sure someone will be more thorough than me on this one, but adding one to an existing setup is eay. The drive should have come with tools to do that. Or you can just format it from the main drive. The main drive has the operating system on it so you don't need to go through all that.

I think..... it's been YEARS since I built a computer.

If neither drive you are using has an operating system that is a whole ohter ball of wax that I flounder through and cannot get to work the same way twice....

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

If you format a drive all the info will go bye-bye. If youre taking two independed system drives and installing them in one system you will have two operating systems (XP, NT, 2000, etc) Mind you your system should boot from the drive that is now designated C: provided theres no changes to the default.

my advice would be to save all the desired information to some source (maybe the drive in your current system) then format the drive you install into one system leaving it free for storage only.

thats my .02...
Im not a geek, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. :P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

There should be jumpers to set it so slave. They should be a set of pins near the end where the power is supplied to the drive. That is, its like that on a majority of drives. There is a plastic jumper that connects two pins at a time and on the top of the drive should be a diagram of which pins make the drive a slave.

Yes the second drive is going to be just for storage. So how do I "slave" it. That is where I am getting lost. Do I just stick it in the second slot in my computer and plug the cord into it?

No, there will be a little cap that you slide onto some pins to set it as slave. Go to the hard drive website and dig from there. Directions for doing this are always provided with new drives so the documents should be available.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

If it's set to CS (Cable Select) then yes, Just put it into the new slot. Turn on the computer and see if it worked... if not. A jumper will need to be moved.

If the IDE cable The Wide flat cable, is marked with a Drive 0 and Drive 1 Drive 0 is for the Master and 1 is for the Slave.

There should but a pin out diagram on the drive. The pin out diagram will have CS SL MA (Cable select, slave and Master)

The jumper is the tiny black square thing the sits on the pins near the power.

See where the jumper is in relation to the diagram. Pull the jumper off and place it on the SL pins.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

This is great there are no jumper pins. What the hell now

Then it's set to Cable Select. Plug the second connection of the IDE cable and the power cable onto the drive and power on the computer. If the drive shows up in Windows Explorer... it works.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Then it's set to Cable Select. Plug the second connection of the IDE cable and the power cable onto the drive and power on the computer. If the drive shows up in Windows Explorer... it works.

Tim, you realize i will probably be calling you tonight trying to figure out how to put my computer back together right???:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.