Mostly_Harmless

Carry Ons

Ok so I haven't flown in quite a while and need to clear something up. Someone on this form (maybe tonto) said that when you fly bring all your skydiving gear with you so that if your luggage gets lost you can still skydive. I think thats a great idea but my questions are this: Most airlines only let you on with one carry on? If that's true would a gear bag fit there size requirements for a carry on?

I have a bag that fits my rig, jumpsuit, goggles, altimiter, etc. theres just enough room left for a change of underwear and toothbrush too.
It just barely meets the carryone requirements, which are not enforced.

then I also have my camera case.
You actually get ONE carry one and ONE "personal" item: laptop, purse, etc.

Plus, your travelling on a CRJ, or other commuter aircraft, you'll have to check it gate side anyway, but you get that back as soon as you land.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I dont see why not.

Its amazing what people drag on to planes as "carry-ons" and "personal" items. Hell some of em have that and then bring a couple shopping bags too.

I prefer not to have my rig uncovered, I.E. in a bag of some sort. Its easier to use the chest strap to tie the harness together and the reserve handle down with the chest strap. That way the handle cant be pulled accidentially, AND if have to undo all that to get in the harness to jump it.

FWIW: I know I can fit my rig, and all other items in my roll-on, including my bonhead helmet, but my camera helmet is a no go.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

You could carry your helmet as a personal item.
I have no idea how big your gear bag is, but if you get it close the the size of a carry on, that will be no problem. Then just carry your helmet in a back pack or something, unless you have a camera, then you'd have ot pack it in the backback too.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I haven't travelled with camera gear yet but i probably will at some stage. I would check my rig (the way i have before) but keep all my camera gear in the plane with me.

A friend of ours has just lost all of his camera gear - stills and video - SD cards, cables, DV tapes and a whole whack of other shit when the airline lost one of his bags. His rigs made it through ok but bye bye other stuff.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Yea it sounds like a good idea. I might just leave my camera attached to my helmet and throw all the camera acessories into my helmet bag so that everything is together and also to save space.

*When I say gear bag I am talking about the standard gear bag you get through paragear. Its like a backpack but larger.

Yeah i have a similar sized gear bag and have put all of my jump gear: shoes, alti, logbook, etc in there and carried it on locally.

The funniest thing was going through the security check where they xray carry on stuff. The guy behind the machine looks up at me and goes: "What the hell is that?" I answer matter of factly: "A parachute" then look at the people in the queue behind me. Every oe of them had this look on their faces that said: WTF DOES HE KNOW THAT I DON'T?!" :D:D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Ok so I haven't flown in quite a while and need to clear something up. Someone on this form (maybe tonto) said that when you fly bring all your skydiving gear with you so that if your luggage gets lost you can still skydive.

I said that, but I'm sure others have too. End of this month I'm off to the US again, for a week. I'll have my rig/wingsuit as a carry on. My rig bag is small enough to fit under the seat in front of me, and it's usually all I carry on.

I also tell security that it's a parachute before I put it in. When they know what they're looking at their reaction is more benign, and it's clear you're not trying to sneak anything on. Not having a cypres helps too.

When you can show you're in and out in a week - and are going for something specific - it's kinda hard to deny that you'd be screwed if you never had something that takes 2 months to build with you at the time. I'll let you know if I have any problems this time.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Yes Take all your gear except for the hook knife. Check that with all the other stuff you don't need to make a jump. Never let an airline ruin your trip. That's what the weather is for.:D

Last trip they asked if i was a "smoke jumper".
I said "No, but i smoke after the jump.":D

Smoke jumpers get treated like royalty i guess so say "yes" this time and let us know how that works out.

I just took all my gear from ATL to DFW last weekend.
It didnt get a second glance here in ATL, and they were more intrested in my camera gear than my rig in DFW.

In fact the only place Ive ever had a problem was margarita island off the coast of Venezuela, but then all I had to do was pull my rig out of the bag and the sent me on my way.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865