udder

Slipping chest straps

With my rig in transit I borrowed one on the weekend, and had the chest strap slip all the way to its stop on opening. Could a really hard opening rip it out?
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Yup, you hear/feel it sliding, and then hit the stop during opening. The owner told me it may do it and not to worry. It definately opens and hits the stop on opening.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

...The owner told me it may do it and not to worry. It definately opens and hits the stop on opening.

I'm telling you (and the owner) to worry. This is not good. I would not let a friend jump this rig until this issue got addressed. It is not normal, or even tolerable.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Hmmm, I'm not sure I've ever had one loaded that much. And many chest straps today DON'T HAVE a fold back stop. (i.e. Javelin) Try to figure out why it's getting loaded. I have to agree I wouldn't jump it until some investigation was done.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Is that chest strap two layers of (one inch wide) Type 17 webbing?
I have always distrusted them because the ends are not folded and sewn (like the end of every other harness strap) however, when folded, they are too bulky to remove from a buckle.

Dilemnas, dilemnas, dilemnas.

A simple solution is to sew an extra layer of webbing to the chest (similar the the Service Bulletin on Icon leg straps) this will "bulk out" the buckle to reduce slippage.
Another - albeit more complex - solution would be to sew a three inch long plastic stiffener between the two layers of Type 17 webbing.

Both those modifications require a Master Rigger.