ACMESkydiver

The Weekly RUNNERS REPORT!

Rest is as important a factor in your training as is running.

I figured that one out the hard way. I used to run every day. Anywhere from 4-12 miles. Once I came to my senses and started running only 3-4 times a week I actually ran faster and it seemed easier. :)

Well, good then. Today can be my test. Since I haven't run in 2 days, I'll see how I feel today. :)
And don't worry about the "more than 60 minutes" part. Don't think that's EVER happened. :D

For a couch to 5k program, if you're training more than 60 minutes at a time, you're vastly underestimating how much you can do. B|

Jaye,

I am sorry for having contributed to your misadventure...from now on I'll put up a link to the real iTunes website if I suggest getting a copy of iTunes to do anything.

No problem; I'm the dumbass that didn't check the address out. :D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I ran Monday and Wednesday of last week. Then I headed to the AOT Memorial Boogie on Friday and stayed there through Sunday and made 11 jumps. So I never did the third run of week one.

But even if I had finished the third run I, like a few others I would still do week one over again. The two I got in felt great, but I don't think I'm ready to move on just yet. I'll be doing session 1.1 again tonight. :)

does anyone know anything about running at higher altitudes?

i was running 5 miles a day in ohio about 4 times a week. i stopped running for a few months during my move to denver. i went out last week for the first time on 2 different days and found it very difficult to run/breathe. to the point that i had to walk instead of run. i'm thinking i', gonna have to change it up to working out at a guym instead.

Give it time, it might take a while. :(

For my run tonight,

High: That 60 second run between minutes 10 and 11 when I just kept repeating to myself, in my worst English accent, "this one goes to eleven." :S :D

Low: Planning my route so that I passed by 5 different Mexican restaurants. >:(

I had 198 HR for the last 5 miles of ten mile run. Though we run about 30 miles a week as part of our training for rowing, I'm not particularly running fit. At 200 pounds running is a hell of alot harder han it was when I was 175. Best thing I can reccomend if want to run fast is lose weight. And do absolutely no strength training, you dont need to be putting on any muscle.

And you can push so much harder with someone next to you... Especially if you hate them and want to beat them:)
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

I tried to take pictures last time it was really bad. I also do the undersides of my arms and thighs. I'm not fat at all, just chafe for some reason...

But for a more disturbing image, I have gotten to the stage once where I was putting crushed ice into the butt crack.

I had 198 HR for the last 5 miles of ten mile run. Though we run about 30 miles a week as part of our training for rowing, I'm not particularly running fit. At 200 pounds running is a hell of alot harder han it was when I was 175. Best thing I can reccomend if want to run fast is lose weight. And do absolutely no strength training, you dont need to be putting on any muscle. .

Actually, I disagree on that. A good core, good legs, and a good upper body is a requirement for being a good runner. I'm not saying you have to go all incredible hulk to run, but study after study has shown that one or two days a week of weight training help tremendously when it comes to running.

I agree partly. More muscle is beneficial over shorter distances but when approaching marathon distances it is extremely counter productive to do low rep strength training. I'm good friends with the son of a marathoner and climber who summited everest, and he did no weights. And 2:32 for a marathon when your 45 isn't bad running. Also still holds the vet record and overall third place in a mt everest marathon. All without weights. Also have a book by Australia's most famous, though now retired marathon runner, also never touched any weights.

And 5km training and running is not long distance. I was captain of school cross country team and our race distance was 5km. More speed work than overall fitness. And every kilo I put on slowed me down by about 15-30 seconds...

edited cause laptop keyboard is a dud and to add....

I agree partly. More muscle is beneficial over shorter distances but when approaching marathon distances it is extremely counter productive to do low rep strength training.

edited cause laptop keyboard is a dud and to add....

Again, gonna have to disagree. I've dropped about 30 pounds of fat this year, and added about 15 pounds of pure muscle. Went from 29% body fat to just over 18%. The muscle definition has helped tremendously - my half marathon times have come down massively - granted a lot is due to losing weight - but that weight wouldn't have come off had I not increased the fire in my furnace (metabolism) by adding muscle.

A few articles on the subject:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-7522-0,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-6714-0,00.html

It's all relative, though. You do what feels best for you... For me, though, adding lifting in has helped SO much...

does anyone know anything about running at higher altitudes?

i was running 5 miles a day in ohio about 4 times a week. i stopped running for a few months during my move to denver. i went out last week for the first time on 2 different days and found it very difficult to run/breathe. to the point that i had to walk instead of run. i'm thinking i', gonna have to change it up to working out at a guym instead.

Marathoners train in higher altitudes so when they race down in normal conditions, they smoke everyone else.

do it up there and you'll increase your lung capacity, and the capacity of your lungs to adequately use oxygen. It's a good thing.

I think losing 15 pounds of dead weight improved your times. Perhaps these programs are designed to burn fat, but either way, more muscle doesnt add up. There is a massive difference between 10k runners and marathoners... I train at a government funded state institue of sport and I have never seen a marathon runner in the gym. In 3 years... All the athletes that train there are world class.

I think losing 15 pounds of dead weight improved your times. Perhaps these programs are designed to burn fat, but either way, more muscle doesnt add up. There is a massive difference between 10k runners and marathoners... I train at a government funded state institue of sport and I have never seen a marathon runner in the gym. In 3 years... All the athletes that train there are world class.

OK - not gonna get into a war over this. Like I said, we do what works for us individually. I've just seen study after study show that adding muscle (especially in the core - stomach, back, and legs) helps increase. You're running with a stronger body - what makes you run? Muscle.

lol...true. My back is going to be so messed up by the time I stop rowing that I'm hoping they can stick in an all titanium one by then. running for medals is completely different to running for fitness and health. Marathon distances will probably ensure you require a knee replacement in old age. Like squash and hip replacements. Road running is pretty bad for you in large doses.