udder

Anyone in construction? Engineers/Project Mngr

Howdy

Anyone is construction? Looking for someone who can tell my anything about land reclamation from a shallow river. There lots of stuff on the net but nothing about the actual process. I have spent 3 days in the library and come up with nothing that tell me actual process or methods.... Except for the "dump a fuckload of large rocks, compact, add crusher limestone and compact....

Peder
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

I do warehouse construction which is the same thing.

depending on what the land was like you would basically do what it says on the tin. Dump a crap load of large stuff into the River. Stuff larger than it can move (i.e. not dirt or sand)...Large rocks 10-15kg weight.

You'd probably also want to get some really deep foundations pinned in but that depends on the height of the water. If you get a high tide (or water level) it will float the building out of its way (literally).

Depending on the use you'd want to consult a local builder etc. Not sure what the rules are like in the US but in the UK we tend to avoid rivers like the plague as they floodplans are not best for warehouses and enviro laws are a pian in the knacker.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

It all depends on the makeup of the soils and the river itself, but in general the structure cannot sit directly on the reclaimed area. The structure will usually need to be supported on piers and / or caissons. The fill itself should be a non-swelling soil that has a very uniform gradation. You would need a geotechnical engineer to check all of that out.

The new waterway embankment will need to be armored against scour with riprap, concrete, or some other kind of reventment. This all needs to be designed depending on the velocity of water in your design event.

A steel sheet pile cuoff wall may be incorperated to prevent groundwater from innundating the reclaimed area.

There is a lot of federal government paperwork that is associated with this kind of work. You would definatly need a 404 permit from the US army Corps of engineers to place fill in the channel and you would need a Letter of Map revision from FEMA to assure you are not adversely changing the floodplain. If there are any wetlands that will be impacted, then you would need a wetlands permit from the EPA.

edit to add: I just read your profile and realized you are in Australia, so all of the federal stuff above wouldn't hold, but I'm sure your government has their own regs..

HOwdy

thanks for the info.

We're not concerned with struxctores ontop of the reclaimed area, thats another groups assignment. Just the process of the reclamation.

This is for a uni project... And my main question is.. Do we just fill out from the shore...Or use barge cranes to install sheet piling and build a concrete dam(or just the piling) Maybe concrete piles vibrated in first? then start filling? Either way a concrete wall will need to be constructed as the end barrier between the reclamation and the water. Or do you dump fill in until you reached desired perimeter, and then built a concrete retaining wall? I was jsut thinking about some sort of barrier before reclamation began to prevent degradation of water quality, and then pump the water out through filers as the area is reclaimed?

HOwdy

thanks for the info.

We're not concerned with struxctores ontop of the reclaimed area, thats another groups assignment. Just the process of the reclamation.

This is for a uni project... And my main question is.. Do we just fill out from the shore...Or use barge cranes to install sheet piling and build a concrete dam(or just the piling) Maybe concrete piles vibrated in first? then start filling? Either way a concrete wall will need to be constructed as the end barrier between the reclamation and the water. Or do you dump fill in until you reached desired perimeter, and then built a concrete retaining wall? I was jsut thinking about some sort of barrier before reclamation began to prevent degradation of water quality, and then pump the water out through filers as the area is reclaimed?

Well, if it's just for a class project then you don't need to worry about all the caviats about soil type and such. I would drive a temporary steel sheet pile wall sround the peremiter first thing...say about 20 feet deeper then the bottom of the channel. Then dewater the channel and the soil below it. Well point dewatering is probably a good bet for the soil. The dewatering will probably need to be continuous throught the construction process. Next set up your forms and pour your concrete wall just inside of the sheet pile wall. The concrete will need to extend pretty deep into the channel to cutoff the water, or you could incorperate a subgrade sheetpile cutoff wall with the concrete wall and save on some concrete costs. If you know how to do a flownet analysis, that can help you determine how deep you have to go with the cutoff wall. Once you have your concrete and cutoff walls in place then backfill against them and you are good.

Use sheet piling in a coffer damn type arrangement fill with stone and cap with concrete.

It is hard for me to state exactly what should be done as I cannot see the area and have made no studies of it.

Have you done soil borings?

Also what is the flow rate of said stream and the topography of the surrounding areas...100 feet either side of the stream

If the piling need suppot on the dry side what would be suitable in sand?

Lets see if I learned anything from my civil engineer wife who specializes in foundations and soils...

It depends on the sand and the compaction of the material. It might need concrete piers for the foundation, how deep and how wide to give stability to the foundation in the type of soil, depends completely on the type of soil.

Read "Expansive Soils" its all in there.

Beyond what I just told you, most of that crap flies over my head, she's definately the smarter of the pair.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Depending on how deep the river is you could backfill against the sheetpiling with soil or structural backfill, or if it is deep use a cofferdam arangement and fill with rocks like the above poster said. Just keep your dewatering going throught the construction process because there will always be water that gets through in this kind of work.

there is presently reclaimed area either side for a couple hundered feet. But the soil is sand down to close to 20 meters I believe. River is only 3-5m deep at its deepest point.

Cofferdams were going to be my second option if a barrier needed to be formed prior to reclamation, as we need to have 2 options for the project.

You guys have helped me more in 10 mins than 3 days in the library. Beer for anyone who ever makes it to this side of the world.

I'll even let you stay at my house... Assuming I'm livin out of home by then. If not we can sleep head to toe in my bed. but no 69ing....

unless im really wasted. and you can speak in high pitched voice. Maybe wear a blonde wig too.

Could I partially fill out and base a crane on the outskirt of the reclamation to install sheet piling/cofferdams? Saves on having barge based crane and driving equipment?

Could I partially fill out and base a crane on the outskirt of the reclamation to install sheet piling/cofferdams? Saves on having barge based crane and driving equipment?

Unless your water velocity is high, you could probably do that. Even if you have got high water velocities, you could dump some large rocks upstream of the fill to create and eddy in the water to get your fill material. The difficulty would be in ensuring an adequate base for the crane with water flowing through the site. You'd have to weigh the cost of the barge based crane and pile driver vs. the cost of filling in the water environment and potentially losing some of the material.

HOwdy

thanks for the info.

Reclamation process is dependant heavily on what the intention of the land use will be. For instance - Redirection and Build-over may be cost effective if the land use is for parks and such. It MAY be cost prohibitive though if you intend on structures being erected over the reclaimed area.

As mentioned above, Pilings and concrete dams are extremely stable, however they also cost ALOT to engineer and construct. The "trench safety" requirements of the contract would be more costly than say an average 2 story structure.

Is a diverted water feature an option?

Piers and Casons are relatively inexpensive - it's when you get to the above ground structural entities that the cost begins to multiply.

PM me if there is more I can help you with.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Cheers Everyone. No doubt I will have more quesitons tomorrow when I begin writing it up. But it's off to the library in the mean time to check out whats mentioned here.

And I'll make sure I keep you all informed when I get my marks backB|

Peder

Pedder ring up Cockburn Council and Fremantle Council, they have both done some MAJOR reclaimation work in and around Cockburn Sound, they will steer youi in the right direction:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Howdy Squeak

That was the plan, but this forums given me all the info I need, well enough that I know what books to look in. I just needed to know whether my idea was viable. Fremantly has used a different method to what I need except in the actual harbour, which I'm going to take photo's of. I'm loving DZ.com sooo much right now.