LisaM

OH RUNNERS!!!!

Its even cold enough in Atlanta to quit running outside. So back in to the gym!

Hi guys. I've been following these threads, and using them as motivation because I've started a workout program designed for me by my old high school coach (who is now in some of my law school classes with me).

I wanted to pipe up and say that while running in a gym on a treadmill may be more convenient, you have to run twice as long in order to get the same workout as running on the road. It only takes about half the effort to run on a treadmill. Indoor tracks are a whole different story, though.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Ah yeah, well most of you at least want that running-refined butt, and if you're keeping up for the most part, you probably have it at least part of the way there.

It's that cold in Atlanta? Well damn. But then again, what's cold to you?

And as for the nastiness of a gym in the winter, that's why I was intent to get cold-weather gear.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

That's so weird, because I find treadmill running to be a lot more difficult.

It's more mentally challenging to run in one place, at least in my experience. But physically, because you don't have to propel yourself forward, you don't get as good of a workout. When I was running in college my coach would never let us do treadmills - we would always have to do the high-resistance settings in the ellipticals. They do give a comparable workout to running, but you have to set them on high. And even then you're working different muscles.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

but I hate being cold and it hurts when your feet get tingly from the cold. Screw that.

I remember running in Atlanta in the winter - there were way too many mornings I remember running in 20 degree sleet, getting splashed by cars as they drove by. Yuck.

Brie

Its even cold enough in Atlanta to quit running outside. So back in to the gym!

Hi guys. I've been following these threads, and using them as motivation because I've started a workout program designed for me by my old high school coach (who is now in some of my law school classes with me).

I wanted to pipe up and say that while running in a gym on a treadmill may be more convenient, you have to run twice as long in order to get the same workout as running on the road. It only takes about half the effort to run on a treadmill. Indoor tracks are a whole different story, though.

Brie

Are you sure you're adjusting the treadmill to a fast-enough speed? If you crank up the treadmill speed to the pace you would normally run at on the road, with a 1.0 incline, you'll get pretty much the exact same workout. I know from experience because I train during the winter in the gym for the Boston marathon, which is in April (and inevitably requires at least some indoor training). Also, an elite female runner from Norway trained entirely indoors back in the late 80's, and ended up setting a world record on marathon day.

It's entirely possible to get the same running workout on the treadmill. The only thing you won't get out of a treadmill is decent hill training -- that you will need to hit the roads for.

edited to add:

It's more mentally challenging to run in one place, at least in my experience.

I hear ya. That's why I use a gym that offers TVs in front of its treadmills. In addition, I bring my IPod with me, and some books and/or magazines. All those distractions combined really make time fly by. B|

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Good point brierebecca, and that's what I've always heard as well. The base fact is that when you're running outside, you have to move your body forward, which makes it harder to keep a consistent pace. You get a better workout usually because the average person can't maintain one set pace running on a track or on the street.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

It's entirely possible to get the same running workout on the treadmill. The only thing you won't get out of a treadmill is decent hill training -- that you will need to hit the roads for.

Meh, we don't have to fight over this. If it worked for you, that's great. But trust me, there is a big difference between propelling yourself forward and the road moving for you while you just lift your legs. I used to be able to go into a gym and do 15 miles on a treadmill in high school, and I could never make it longer than 12 outside. And it was at the same pace on the treadmill (or faster). Ellipticals work better for indoor workouts, and they're less impact, too.

Brie

Meh, we don't have to fight over this. If it worked for you, that's great.

Pardon if my my post seemed argumentative; I certainly didn't mean it that way.

But trust me, there is a big difference between propelling yourself forward and the road moving for you while you just lift your legs. I used to be able to go into a gym and do 15 miles on a treadmill in high school, and I could never make it longer than 12 outside. And it was at the same pace on the treadmill (or faster).

Yup -- that's where the 1.0 incline comes in. The bigger factor is air resistance while you're running outside. Inside on a treadmill, there is none, and that's what makes it easier. Adjusting to a 1.0 incline fixes that problem and helps you get just about the same workout that you'd get outside.

Ellipticals work better for indoor workouts, and they're less impact, too.

Yes indeedy, I cross-train on ellipticals for that very reason.

Good luck in your workout program and happy runnin' to ya.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I can't complete a run if I'm not a on a treadmill right now, so it is the method I have to use until I am stronger.

I look forward to being strong enough to run outside with my husband and daughter, but for now I have to take it really slow and keep it mild until my stupid heart catches up. :ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

B| Dude don't worry.. I did week one for three weeks.. and took to doing it twice in a row (running for an hour) before I moved up to week 2. So I'll probably do week 2 for a couple more weeks. Who cares as long as my butt is moving and I'm making progress. Its MY workout.

It only takes about half the effort to run on a treadmill

I have noticed that... why is that, I wonder?

edited to add: ok I read the replies. I can't do the 1% incline on the treadmill... hurts my shins! I am soooo old!!!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start at if I take a week off? I might still do this week... but I haven't even done run 1 of week 4. Monday was stress. Today I am soooo sore from sparring last night that I won't do it right.

So I will try after tomorrow karate.. my Thursday class is a much lighter class.....

But I wonder if I give my body a break (karate killed my knees last night), should I move on? Repeat week 3. Maybe I will push past the soreness... is that a good thing or bad? It's not as easy as when I was in my 20s.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

That's so weird, because I find treadmill running to be a lot more difficult. And you're not the first person I've heard from about it being less effective. I vastly prefer to run outside. Cold weather sucks ass.

On a treadmill you are not propelling your weight forward. It does demand a much smoother running style than the road.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start at if I take a week off? I might still do this week... but I haven't even done run 1 of week 4. Monday was stress. Today I am soooo sore from sparring last night that I won't do it right.

So I will try after tomorrow karate.. my Thursday class is a much lighter class.....

But I wonder if I give my body a break (karate killed my knees last night), should I move on? Repeat week 3. Maybe I will push past the soreness... is that a good thing or bad? It's not as easy as when I was in my 20s.

It really is a bit of a quandry. If an injury is affected by the type of exercise you are doing, it only gets worse. Your body has to heal if you want longevity in any sport.

Not exercising caused your aerobic conditioning to go downhill quickly.

I'm thinking of getting a high quality rowing machine for those in between times, and for upper body conditioning.

I don't like running on treadmills. Whenever I am done, I feel dizzy as hell when I step off--like the ground is still moving.

I am also too clumsy--the last time I was on one, I got thrown off the end of it (that is after I took a weird stride, lost my footing--and it was almost like I was shot off the thing like a damn torpedo). Glad I picked the last row of treadmills or I probably would have impaled my self on another machine.:$

Anyways kudos to all of yous that actually do the running thing!! B|

Promised a full review of the Under Armour cold compression gear, so here it is.

Finally got the compression legging to complete the set last night after work. Came home from work tonight and went right out to do another 3 miles on the track. Dark as hell, could hardly see the lines, but that's what I'm all about. When I walked from my car to the track, my hands were already getting very cold, so I put my shooting gloves on in order to keep them at a reasonable temperature. Took 10 minutes to stretch, and during that time my whole body started getting a little chilly. Might've been about 45-50 degrees out, so it would make sense that I was getting chilly. The weird part is that I didn't get much colder than that. And when I started running, my body warmed up a little bit. Normally in weather that cold, everything starts freezing after a few laps, and I can't feel my face after 3 miles. Shortly into the run this time, my whole body was reasonably warm, and my face never got numb. In fact, my face was nice and cool, regulated by the rest of my body temperature.

Needless to say, I'm very impressed by how good Under Armour cold compression gear really is. I suggest it for anyone who wants to run outside in the cold. Plain and simply, it WORKS.