billvon

Freezr II helmet

Just got a Freezr II helmet, and put about 35 jumps on it this weekend. It's the replacement for the original Freezr, which I had and didn't like very much. At PIA, I got a very good deal on a Freezr II and so I bought one right there. (I think they gave me a discount because I was complaining about the original helmet!)

Good stuff:
It fits, which is a very big deal for me. Most helmets don't fit my head even in XXL. The Freezr I fit but it rattled around a bit. The II fits great; I think it's shaped for "longer" (back of your head to jaw) heads. I didn't even need the XXL - the XL fit well.

Visor operation is MUCH cleaner. Easy to open by pushing up on both tabs. Easy to close - just slam the visor down. It's so easy that I don't close it until I take my first grip in the door, then I close it with my hand and take the other grip.

Mechanism is now exposed and much simpler; no more annoying hinge covers to lose. Just two exposed screws with machined recessed washers that cover the edges to reduce the chances of a line snag.

Lots of ventilation, to the point that I occasionally think I left the visor open in freefall. Doesn't affect my vision, though. Might be an issue for people with contacts.

Easy to put on; just one fastex clip under the chin.

Curved faceplate gives good visibility without much glare.

Bad stuff:
Flat black finish picks up dirt/scratches like crazy. I've used it four days and it's already looking worn.

The retention system doesn't let you get anything very tight, and it feels like it's going to come off your head in freefall. (There's little risk of that; it just _feels_ that way.)

Visors are hard to get and expensive. The Freezr I was around $60. Square One says they won't carry the Freezr II faceplates due to the exchange rate making the helmets too expensive to carry.

Visibility downwards is not as good as my Factory Diver/FP-1. The larger jaw area seems to cover a little more of my field of vision.

The Freezr 1 was designed to accommodate glasses. The Freezr II has lots of room in front of your face; seems like it would accommodate glasses as well. Only drawback there is that the larger under-chin space reduces downward visibility.

[:/] bummer, sounds like I'll be sticking with my ProTech still. Problem is, ProTech's don't do much in the way of preventing bloody noses, split lips and broken teeth... all of which I've experienced during "combat RW". Yeah, yeah, I know, just get contacts, but its the thought of jammin' something in my eyes that just wigs me out... :S... but "that" they say is a "different story." ;)

Bill, thanks for the info. Ziggy, for big meloned mugs, also look at the BoneHead Mamba. Besides the FreeZr(which I didn't like), it is the only fullface that fit me. Good vision and the plastic lens can be replaced with plastic from your local Tap Plastic. The new style chin clip also tightens down the neck gator. Nice simple design. Holds the baby tight.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Thanks. Its not so much the 50lb head thing with me as it is trying to find a full-face that I can get a pair of glasses on under... :S... dunno, maybe it can't be done.

I thought Bill said the freezr II looked like it would fit glasses?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Thanks. Its not so much the 50lb head thing with me as it is trying to find a full-face that I can get a pair of glasses on under... :S... dunno, maybe it can't be done.

I just tried putting on a pair of sunglasses on after donning my Mamba. They fit fine. I had to wiggle them a little bit to get the temple piece past the slot in the padding for the audible, but no problems with tight fit. I did not have the audible installed, so that might make a difference.

You might look at the BH Havok. It is uglier than sin, but the whole face shield flips up out of the way. I know of several people who jump it because it was the only one that allowed them to easily wear their glasses.

Jump an Infinity

I thought Bill said the freezr II looked like it would fit glasses?

... you'd have to try one to see... pun intended... :P

>what's the scary thing on your back??!?

That is Gareth Holder's old (but almost unused) Reflex. He gave it to me as a spare rig (thanks again G) but it has now become my primary rig, since my formerly brand new Talon has been back to RI three times so far for resizing and still doesn't fit!

That is Gareth Holder's old (but almost unused) Reflex. He gave it to me as a spare rig (thanks again G) but it has now become my primary rig, since my formerly brand new Talon has been back to RI three times so far for resizing and still doesn't fit!

And if somebody walks up and punches you, it's probably because of something I did,

Sorry Bill.

Wouldn't happen if you bought a Wings ;)

Wouldn't happen if you bought a Wings ;)

No it would have just showed up without stainless and in the wrong colors.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>Wouldn't happen if you bought a Wings . . .

Don't get me started on Wings! If my final attempt with the Talon doesn't pan out I may try for a Mirage.

Looked at the Infinity Bill?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Kelly has his stock sizes, but I understand he will also do custom. With the Optima reserve, it should be a piece of cake for that combo. Bill, you know you have been wanting to try out the new reserve.

Yes, I am an uncompensated shill for VSE. Love my rig.:)

Jump an Infinity

>Wouldn't happen if you bought a Wings . . .

Don't get me started on Wings! If my final attempt with the Talon doesn't pan out I may try for a Mirage.

I'm sorry. I don't jump a Mirage, so you wont be able to get one with my name on it unless you pay extra.