Zeppo

Joining the Canadian Forces

I've been thinking about joining the Canadian Forces.

Does anyone know if they have paratroopers? ( I heard they don't, but figured people here would know better)

I'm also curious if Canada has a sport skydiving team similar to that of the US.

Any info from those here would be appreciated.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Does anyone know if they have paratroopers? ( I heard they don't, but figured people here would know better)

I'm also curious if Canada has a sport skydiving team similar to that of the US.

Which branch?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

The Regiment was disbanded after Somalia
I think I heard somewhere that they may bring it back
you can still get para training in the military.

The Skyhawks are the military demo team
Lyal trains them in Perris in the winter

B|

The Airborne were disbanded in 1995 (I was posted in Pettawa at this time but from the missed one hell of a farewell parade as the RCD’s were in Bosnia at the time) and moved the Jump companies out of Petawawa. Each infantry regiment now has a jump coy a 3rd Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment (Pettawa Ontario), the 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry(Edmonton Alberta) and the 3e Battalion Royal 22e Régiment (Valcartier Quebec). Once you are posted to a regiment you then can apply to be in the jump coy.

The Airborne training takes place at the Canadian Parachute Center in Trenton Ontario

The Sky Hawks are open to all Canadian Forces personnel (Regular, Reserves and all Trades) as long as you have military freefall certification or CSPA “A” License and you current units Commanding Officers approval (This is due to the Sky Hawks is considered a recruiting and PR tool and require personnel to be basically a good boy and not to much of a shit disturber) The training and selection takes place in Parris Valley in the spring of each year.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/8wing/squadron/cpc_e.asp 8 Wing home of the Canadian Parachute Center and the Skyhawks
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/skyhawks_index.asp?FlashEnabled=1& Skyhawks
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

My Brother is in the Canadian forces and loves it. (not a paratrooper or anything though) Currently stationed the bustling metropolis of Pettawa (moved from Edmonton recently). It's been a great way for him to travel and see the world. You might like it for that reason, but you may find it's a problem with relationships. If you're not interested in anything long term it's probably fine, but if you are it's hard. Since you could get a great position at another base across the country (like he did). His gf went with him, but it could have easily gone the other way. Good luck!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body"

Thanks for all your input.

I think I'm going to be doing alot of reading about the Parachuting school, and about the skyhawks. If it's something I can join...and actually be paid to skydive...then I'd give up any sembelance I had to a normal life (not that I was ever normal to begin with:P)

Getting paid to jump would be cool but be forewarned. Canadian forces commander General Hillier said recently that all new recruits should be prepared to spend three years available for infantry duty in Afghanistan. So if being a real soldier taking part in real wars isn't in your plans, think very carefully. Good luck with your career.

I wouldn't mind having to wait 3 years (I can still jump during my free time) I'll just make sure that I'm a good little boy so I can get the recommendation to get accepted by the skyhawks.

I don't have a problem being a soldier for that time (and it'll certainly beat being an accountant).

For the chance to join the skyhawks...I'd do it.

Sounds like alot of fun.

Getting paid to jump would be cool but be forewarned. Canadian forces commander General Hillier said recently that all new recruits should be prepared to spend three years available for infantry duty in Afghanistan. So if being a real soldier taking part in real wars isn't in your plans, think very carefully. Good luck with your career.

It's two years that new recruits would have to be in a line infentry roll (Witch would mean two rotations to Afghanistan. Then after that time you would be able to go in to you selected trade. This is probly one of the best changes there has been in a long time. bEvery Person should have nasic infentry skills!!!!

If your looking Airborn tasking that wont be a problem as your in a infentry unit anyway.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Which branch?

I'm not really sure which branch. I still considering all my options and trying to get as much information as possible. I'm not sure exactly what career I would like to do, but I wouldn't mind being a pilot.