kenneth21441

Question on Repack of Round Main

I just sold a MC1 round main parachute. ANd the guy wants the main packed. The question that I have is can I repack this to send to him as a rigger....? even though I am not jumping it nor is it able to be sealed... other then the quater inch packing closing tie..

Anyone ever experience this...?
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Assuming you are a rigger, why would you not be able to pack a main, as long as you are familiar with it? Why is this one any different than a "conventional" sport main?
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I am a rigger. But my understanding of the regs is that the jumper packs his main .. but a certified rigger can also...but there is no way to seal this parachute,.,,with a riggers seal..

As it will be in the mail and there is no real control over it then.. so someone could do somthing...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I am a rigger. But my understanding of the regs is that the jumper packs his main .. but a certified rigger can also...but there is no way to seal this parachute,.,,with a riggers seal..

As it will be in the mail and there is no real control over it then.. so someone could do somthing...

do what BASE jumpers do - pack the PC inside the main. One will have to be an absolute MORON to try to jump it. This way it's packed for transport, not for deployement.

do what BASE jumpers do - pack the PC inside the main. One will have to be an absolute MORON to try to jump it. This way it's packed for transport, not for deployement.

You're right... and I think I meet that guy... he rode his motorcycle to the DZ wearing his rig like a "back pack"... he didn't want one of his chutes to come out while toolin' down the highway... so... he stuffed his main pilot chute way into the pocket and zip-tied his reserve handle to his main lift web... problem is... he didn't remember to un-do any of that before getting on the first load at the DZ... only smart thing he did was remember to turn on his Cypres... this is NO SHIT... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it AND listened to him fess-up on the ride back to the packing area in the back of bad-spot-bill's truck.

>so... he stuffed his main pilot chute way into the pocket and zip-tied
>his reserve handle to his main lift web . . .

I think I remember that guy, although I recall he had a tube stow tied around his reserve handle. I asked him why he thought that was OK, and he said "oh, it would have broken." He then tried to demonstrate, and he spent twenty seconds pulling on the handle and having it "boing" back into his harness.

I think I remember that guy, although I recall he had a tube stow tied around his reserve handle. I asked him why he thought that was OK, and he said "oh, it would have broken." He then tried to demonstrate, and he spent twenty seconds pulling on the handle and having it "boing" back into his harness.

Must have been his brother... this was definitly a zip-tie...

Must have been his brother... this was definitly a zip-tie...

A similar story I read was a DZ holding a boogie and inspecting rigs so ensure they were legal for jumping then attaching a tie to the webbing to indicate they were OK to jump. At least one rig got the tie on the webbing routed through the reserve D handle.

I don't think this was the source but it cameup in a search:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=615763#615763