CastAwayII

RSL ring on risers

I am a new jumper, and I am sure someone with more experience will post, but, I recently had an RSL installed in my rig by United Parachute Technologies (UPT) and they sewed the ring onto my existing risers.

One can be sewn on or there is a no sew method out there as well. Do a search.

Yes, there is a no-sew method, but be CAREFUL with that and make sure you THUROUGHLY understand it... I've seen more RSLs with that set-up mis-routed then the more traditional ring on riser style... AND/OR... I've seen more then once when someone is trying to "helpful" towards someone during the ride to altitude with a no-sew RSL set-up and actually mis-route it for them when it was correct.

Thanks for this thread! I recently asked Mirage to add an rsl ring to the risers for my G3 and was told they would not do the mod. I purchased new risers but I'll get a rigger to add a ring to the old ones too.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

Just a quick note on our RSL ring setup on our risers. I don't know how your rigger that you are going to have install an RSL plans on doing it but take note that on our risers we have the RSL ring integrated into the riser below the grommet. The reason for this is that the grommet in the risers is the weakest point on the riser and if there will be a failure of the riser it will most likely be at that point or above. We put the ring below the grommet so that there will not be a deployment of the reserve in the case of riser failure.

The reason we would not do the mod on the existing risers is that it involves basically completely rebuilding the risers and it is just as cost and time efficient to order a new set of risers.

Just a heads up on how we do our RSL ring and why we wouldn't do the mod. You may want to make sure that the rigger adding a ring for you has this safety feature in mind.

Blues
Ward Hessig

Good point.

I'm going to go out on a limb here a bit and say that when you say...

The reason for this is that the grommet in the risers is the weakest point on the riser and if there will be a failure of the riser it will most likely be at that point or above.

... you're probably talking about Type 17 risers, correct?

While one should never say never, the chances of a similar failure of a Type 8 riser would be "remote"... whould you agree?

The one time I've seen a master rigger add an RSL ring to an existing riser was on a Type 8 riser and he did it by, basically, adding another confulance wrap around the existing one to attach / hold the ring for the RSL. I don't recall what type of material he used, but it wasn't just binding tape.

>The reason for this is that the grommet in the risers is the weakest
>point on the riser and if there will be a failure of the riser it will most likely
>be at that point or above.

Have you seen many failures of modern (reinforced) risers at the grommet? I ask because the more recent failures I've seen have been at the webbing holding the smaller ring on, at the confluence of the two risers and at the link location itself.

Bill,

Not answering for ward / would like to hear his answer too but...

I haven't seen any Type 17s break at the point where the gromet is punched through since they're all pretty much reinforced these days... I do remember seeing several Type 17 risers break "back in the day" when they weren't reinforced and fat guys were jumping them.

However, now that you mention it, I do remember us making one of our buddies ride the airplane down when, during the ride up, we noticed the webbing on his Type 17 riser coming apart at the point where the webbing small (third) ring on.

I've also seen Type 17 risers grounded because the 550 loop was deemed to be "too worn."

Hey Guys,
Yes, I am talking about type 17 "mini risers". And yes, the chance of failure on larger type webbing is less due to the increased size and strength of the webbing.

Also, to answer your question, no.... we don't see many, if any at all that have failed since reinforcing that section has become pretty much the industry standard. I personally haven't seen any at all but I can't speak for Jeff (our designer) who has been doing this for a lot longer than I.

I hope this answers your questions, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any others.

Ward

Thank you for the response! I understand the issue now. I consulted a rigger Sunday and he showed me some of the add-on ring set ups. Neither of us really liked how they would look on those risers. I'll just trade them with someone who doesn't use an rsl.

I'm very glad to know you are so willing to explain things to a confused customer!
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

Absolutely!!! That's what we're here for. I love my job, it's a passion for me so I'm always available to help. I love skydiving period and if I can pass on any of the knowledge I've acquired I love to.... even if it's not about our containers.

I wish more people would just contact the manufacturers and get it straight from the horses mouth rather than getting second hand info from other jumpers who may or may not be correct.

If anyone has any questions about anything at all, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Thanks and blues
Ward

I wish more people would just contact the manufacturers and get it straight from the horses mouth rather than getting second hand info from other jumpers who may or may not be correct.

Why not have a knowledge base on your website with the answers to common questions?
You surely must get a few of these questions more than once, so taking the time to type down the answer would save you some time in the long run.