Rdutch

Landlords, any tenant nightmares?

Im looking for some information, any of you that own houses and rent them out have any bad tenant eviction trouble stories? If you could estimate what it cost you total to fix the situation.
Thanks
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Lot of variables there.

How much damage to the property, how much loss of income from the time you are evicting until it's rent-able again.

The actual costs of doing an eviction are minimal and recoverable in small claims court, as are the other costs...if you can get the 'low life's' to show up and pay the judgement that is.

I've done a few...cost me anywhere from 100.00 to 3000.00 depending on the 'variables' mentioned above.

Check the laws in your state, some places are easier than others.

Good Luck...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...if you can get the 'low life's' to show up and pay the judgement that is.

Damn, my ears were burning. I wouldn't be a low-life if the company I'm contracted to would give me enough work to pay my bills. 'course I can't sue them for this, and even if I could, I can't afford an attorney.

My landlord suggested I give up eating so I could pay my rent.:S
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

That is 'understandable' to an extent, and I've made allowances in some cases like that, but remember too...the landlord is paying bills as well, and often NEEDS that check on time and in the full amount.;)

But, my 'low life' definition, is someone that doesn't pay the rent, trashes the place, and generally makes my (or any landlord) life more difficult.

One recent example, finally got the 'L.L.'s' out, upon inspection, they had tapped into the neighbors power, cable and phone lines...left over 100 pounds of dog shit in the basement...and I filled a roll off dumpster with the junk they left behind...that and catching the kitchen on fire from cooking with Sterno..qualified them for lifetime low life status!

Wow! That sucks.

I guess I was lucky when my husband and I owned a duplex and rented out apartments. It might have also helped that we lived in one. Later when we bought our first house, we just lived down the street. Maybe being close helped us to have great tenants.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Wow! That sucks.

I guess I was lucky when my husband and I owned a duplex and rented out apartments. It might have also helped that we lived in one. Later when we bought our first house, we just lived down the street. Maybe being close helped us to have great tenants.

Yeah...lond distance landlord sucks...that one I mentioned was the house in Aurora, Co.
By the time I got the word and got there the damage was done...[:/]

That’s really important , I've haven’t had any problems but My brother has , We've learn a few things. The stuff wideguy has mentioned

my Brother rented to some one he knew and it turned in to a horror story. Place was trashed was stuck with a $1800 water and hydro bill. They people were busted for growing a few marijuana plants witch if an illegal activity taking place for drugs is an automatic cancellation of insurance policy.

*No Renting to Friends or Family!!!!!!!
*Generic rental agreements suck! See a lawyer for the State/Province and City you are in to get a rental form made.
*Know YOUR right and the tenants (as tempting as it is cutting the waters lights ect. just causes you more hassles if you ever need to go to court.
*Know you city by laws. my brother had gotten stuck with a $1800 power and water bill even thought the renters had that in their name the City had a new by law that in case of default the Owner is ultimately responsible for the bill.
*Have insurance and know exactly what is and is not covered!
* Don't be a hard ass on every situation for me I have awesome tenants so I give much more leeway to them just as we all know life happens and some times better to let something go and keep good people in there. (I gave them a rent reduction because of what they have done to keep the place matained zero hassle out of these people was worth getting less it's still enough to pay the mortgage and pay all the cost)
*Don't rent to family or friends ( or friends and family of friends ( this is where my brother got burned )
*Check on the place on a regular basis or pay a company to do it for you. If in doubt check it out
* As a last resort we have used the Clause in Ontario if a place is needed for Moving in personally by the owner or family member , Major renovations ect to get some one out before a end date for the lease.
*Document everything!!!!! if you get a call to fix something keep a maint log ect on when it was requested and when it was done. (This helped a lot when my brother Had to defend his evection at the housing tribunal.
*Do it by the book or it will eventually bite you in the ass as long drawn out process it can be if you do illegal thing to get a tenant out it may just end in a court or housing tribunal getting the evection over turned and you back as square one with the dick still there.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

We have a house close to the farm in Ky that we rent out and the current tennants are great. On the other hand, the previous tennants that we threw out were not so reputable in that they were always late on the rent, HORRIBLE housekeepers and the residue from their meth lab took a while to clean up.:o:S
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

We have a house close to the farm in Ky that we rent out and the current tennants are great. On the other hand, the previous tennants that we threw out were not so reputable in that they were always late on the rent, HORRIBLE housekeepers and the residue from their meth lab took a while to clean up.:o:S

you have to give them credit for not blowing up your house however....
This ad space for sale.

We've had 5 different tenants in our property now and never had any problems with any of them (except that the one before last , lost her job and couldn't pay the rent - not her problem but she could have let us know earlier and we could have come to an arrangement - shame).

The place has always been left very clean and tidy (even by the lady who couldn't pay here rent).

The first agent, that we used on the other hand - was a right royal pain in the arse>:( - they lied, didn't tell us that a major problem had occured and that the tenat at that time had moved out... we never used them again.

We now have an O.K agent (I'm not at all sure if there is such a thing as a good one:().

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome