fepinheiro1

GPS for Tamdem - Cloudy Sky

Yeah my friend John.

When the sky is cloudy I just don't fly. :-)

But, I import stuffs from USA to my place and sell here. Some guys in my DZ are looking for a GPS that logs the jumps and helps with cloudy skies... :-)

Can you help me choosing which model I need to import?

Tks!!
Fernando Cortazzio Pinheiro
MSN: [email protected]
Gtalk: [email protected]

I have read several articles about GPS. But, in the end, which Garmin is the best for navigate in the Sky?

Forerunner 201
Forerunner 305
Foretrex 201

????

Tks in advanced!

Fe Pinheiro - Brazil

Foretrex 101/201 is the more skydiver friendly one. Don't forget to get a copy of Paralog so you can log and see your jump over the ground.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Try the garmin Etrex vista...it has a rather nice compass and a easy to use trip computer...a nice feature that it comes with is a jumpmaster program that allows you to calulater your HARP, If you don't know what that means its a High Altitude Release Point...Pretty much its where you get out to land pretty dang close to your designated landing point or PI (Point of Impact)...When all else fails just as stated by the other post, i would jump in the clouds if you can't see you dropzone...This GPS also allows you to plot you course on maps with the Garmin Maps program and has a trip log to put it to the memory as well...Hope i can help

FYI i am not a Tandem master, but i am a Jumpmaster, and a survival instructor for the military...I may not jump tandems but i do know my GPS systems. Have a great day
//SIGNED//
Leonard J Clark

The etrex vista is a good little GPS for ground use, but not for this application IMO. The Jumpmaster feature is designed for the Military HALO jumpmaster and the HARP it will kick out typically will not fit into the jump run used by most civilian DZ's. You also have to input the winds from surface to jump altitude, most civilians don't have access to winds every thousand feet. The other detractor is that it is a major pain in the ass to input all the wind data using the little joystick. I can calc the winds faster by hand then it takes to input the same data in the Garmin. I've used this GPS receiver with a Navboard on HAHOs but thats not an option on a tandem.

The Foretrex is slightly larger than a Neptune and can be worn on the wrist just like an altimeter with the included wrist strap. Mark the pea pit as a waypoint and while under canopy use the go to feature and it will point you back to the DZ. I wore this exact model, as did others, while in Afghanistan. It's a great little GPS receiver and works good in the skydiving environment.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Foretrex 101/201 is the more skydiver friendly one. Don't forget to get a copy of Paralog so you can log and see your jump over the ground.

That said, 101/201 is not among the modern high-sensitivity models (-158dBm sensitivity). If sensitivity becomes important (such as better chance of getting a fix inside the airplane, or faster re-fix after losing fix from boarding airplane on ground), I'd suggest the high sensitivity ones such as 300 series or the others. For example, the Forerunner 305 use the acclaimed SirfstarIII GPS chip, the one famous for working better in urban canyons in road GPS systems, and sometimes working indoors in wooden houses...

That said, I don't know how Paralog-friendly the 301 (new) is... This could be a major consideration too. There are other usability factors of 201 for skydiving different from 301 that I may not be aware of.

But sensitivity and speed of GPS fix -- the 305 totally blows away the 201. The 301 is probably similiar.