ChuckDarwin

AAD authorization??

Why is it that rig manufacturers seem to have to "authorize" the use of a particular brand of AAD in their rigs? Seems to me that if the AAD fits in the mounting points that rig is equipped with, that there is no need for "authorizing". My thinking is this: if a rig manufacturer uses a Tempo reserve for their drop tests, they don't have to write letters "authorizing" the use of PD, Precision, etc. reserves in their rigs. Why is one component accepted as compatible and one isn't?

I am guessing here but I want to see if my guess is right. There's two ways to do that 1) wait until someone answers and hope their right or 2) take a shot at the answer and wait for someone to tell me I'm wrong. I've been wrong before and lived through it, so here what I "think" might be the reason.

The container/harness and reserve are all TSO'ed so that why they work together without special permission. With and AAD you are introducing a non TSO'ed piece of equipment into the harness/container so that is why permission is necessary.

Sounds reasonable - lets see if I get shot down :D
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Sounds ok, but it's not forbidden to use non-TSO reserves in container systems.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I didn't know that :o looks like my reasoning might be flawed :)
Like I say. I've been wrong before and lived.

Edit to add: from the next post following this one it looks like I might at least be "warm"
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Yes it is. You can mixt TSO with TSO (b-b) (c-c) (d-d), you cannot mixt a b with a c and a c with a d. You cannot mixt a TSO with a J or E-TSO.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

The container/harness and reserve are all TSO'ed so that why they work together without special permission. With and AAD you are introducing a non TSO'ed piece of equipment into the harness/container so that is why permission is necessary.

What about the reserv loops?
The main isn't TSOd either, is it?
Are slider keeping devices on the reserv-flap TSOd (often a ball with elastic bands)? :P

In fact, whatever is in the harnes isn't TSO'd either! :)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Are slider keeping devices on the reserve-flap TSOd (often a ball with elastic bands)? :P

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Those ugly, death-traps fell out of fashion years ago.

There are two more modern alternatives: slider-catchers and removable sliders. For more than a decade now, I have been sewing a variety of slider catchers to front risers. Slider-catchers satisfy most weekend jumpers.
Meanwhile, hard-core professional pond swoopers have perfected a variety of removable sliders and RDSs.

> Why is it that rig manufacturers seem to have to "authorize" the use
> of a particular brand of AAD in their rigs?

To ensure their compatibility with the rig.

The issue isn't so much their authorization. The issue is that the rigger must follow the manufacturer's instructions in order for the rig to be legal to jump. If he does not, he opens himself up to enforcement actions. (See the recent Javelin RSL issue.) If the manual (or other official instruction from the rig manufacturer) says "a Vigil may not be installed since it has not been tested to be compatible with this rig" then you cannot install it.

OTOH if the manual simply refers to "AAD installation" and there is no contraindication against installation of any specific sort of AAD (on their website, on service bulletins etc) then you should not need any specific authorization, as long as the AAD can be safely installed by following the directions of the rig and AAD manufacturers.

Actually, they are quite common over here... B|

Not on my rig though, nothing which keeps my main attached to me.

Are slider keeping devices on the reserve-flap TSOd (often a ball with elastic bands)? :P

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Those ugly, death-traps fell out of fashion years ago.

They are still seen quite often though and the manufacturers doesn't seem to write anything about them, leaving it up to the riggers to decide if they interfere with the TSOd system.

Some brands of AADs are regulated by some manufacturers though. Seems like double standards to me.