FlyingJ

Texas folks...movin' your way.

Hey Texas folks…

Looks like I’m moving out your way. I just accepted a position with a Nature Conservancy fire crew and will be moving to Victoria, TX in the next couple weeks.

Anybody on here from the Victoria area, or have any leads on places to live down there? I’ll just be showing up in town with a tent and hoping to find an apartment pretty quickly. I’ve been told it’s not that tough, but we’ll see!

How about the closest dropzone? I can’t seem to get the dz locator to work, keep getting an error message. Would love to know where people that live down there head to jump.

Any info is appreciated!

jason.
Killing threads since 2004.

Hey Texas folks…

Looks like I’m moving out your way. I just accepted a position with a Nature Conservancy fire crew and will be moving to Victoria, TX in the next couple weeks.

Anybody on here from the Victoria area, or have any leads on places to live down there? I’ll just be showing up in town with a tent and hoping to find an apartment pretty quickly. I’ve been told it’s not that tough, but we’ll see!

How about the closest dropzone? I can’t seem to get the dz locator to work, keep getting an error message. Would love to know where people that live down there head to jump.

Any info is appreciated!

jason.

How far is Victoria from Houston? For some reason I seem to think it is South of there.... If so, Skydive Spaceland might work for you.

Well, the good news is you're moving to Texas. Congrats on that.

The bad news is, unless there's a DZ I'm not familiar with, it looks like you're about 2-3 hours from any major DZs. That said, you're about equidistant from several. Check out Skydive San Marcos, Capitol Skydiving, Skydive Aggieland, Skydive Spaceland and Skydive Houston. They should all be within 2-3 hours from Victoria.

Much as I LOVE Skydive Houston, it's North of Houston and you will be pretty far South of Houston, so don't bother with that one if your dial up is slow. Spaceland might work or San Marcos. Both have great people and it being Texas, camping out on Saturday nights isn't bad so you don't have to make the trip twice in a weekend. Welcome to Texas!
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

Exactly what he said!!!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2465793#2465793

http://www.capitolskydiving.com/gravityratsrevolution.aspx

Hope to see you there!

I mapquested a few for you since you have dial-up from downtown Victoria to area DZ's...

Skydive Spaceland
281-369-3337
119.64 miles (2hrs 31min)

Skydive Houston
800-Jumpout
139.41 miles (2hrs 35min)

Capitol Skydiving
512-281-2832
139.55 miles (2hrs 41min)

Didn't have address for the following two as they are at airfields...

Skydive Aggieland
979-778-5867
(this may be further then the rest)

Skydive San Marcos
512-488-2214
(this may be a little closer then the rest)

There's also Skydive Temple (north of Austin) fly's a PAC, and I'm sure a few other small ones here and there...

Hope this helps you out.
:D

Skydive Aggieland: 161 miles, 3 hours 16 minutes.

Skydive San Marcos: 88 miles, 1 hour 30 minutes.

Those are based on the zip code the dropzones are in.

And Skydive Temple: 169 miles, 3 hours.

Damn, that was a total guess on my part, but it looks like I was pretty close to right. Nothing super close, but a bunch not too far away.

It's about that far.

It's about 150 miles from Rosharon (Spaceland)
About 100 from San Marcos
55 miles from Beeville (Sky's the limit, but I hear that's only open periodically. Definitely only weekends, and Cessna.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks everyone. I just barely got started jumping up at The Farm a couple years ago and then went dormant because of work. I can't wait to get settled in Texas and get back into the swing of things.

Thanks for all the great info!

jason.

edited: typos

Thanks everyone.

Now look here. If you're moving to Texas you might as well start getting some lessons in how to talk like one. You don't say "Thanks everyone." That's damn Yankee talk. What you should say instead is; "Thanks y'all." Now go practice that until it's automatic muscle memory. ;)

P.S. You've got guns, don't you? If not, go buy some and bring 'em with you.

Thanks everyone.

Now look here. If you're moving to Texas you might as well start getting some lessons in how to talk like one. You don't say "Thanks everyone." That's damn Yankee talk. What you should say instead is; "Thanks y'all." Now go practice that until it's automatic muscle memory. ;)

LMAO!!!

Be prepared to see huge cockroaches that fly. If you think they can't fly, just swat at one and you'll see. :P

Might as well learn that we only serve two types of food here... Tex-mex and if you're lucky BBQ. Living in Austin I can name at least 5 Tex-mex restaurants to every 1 non-tex-mex restaurant.

Thanks everyone.

-------------------

Hehe...thanks for the advice. Pretty sure I'll fit in just fine. Growing up in Georgia I've got my southern speak down, just never has translated when typing. I'm sure I'll have a few things to learn if I'm going to represent ya'll appropriately. Is there some kind of transitionary period that I can get away with just having a few water guns?

She's not kidding about the restaurants. I can't even go for a run without passing a few of them. [:/]

I can't wait. That may change after being there for a while, but I've been so broke for the last couple years that going out for a BBQ sandwich every other month is a big treat. I'm sure it might get old, but for the first few months, bring it the F*** on! ;););)

Is there some kind of transitionary period that I can get away with just having a few water guns?

I think it says in the Texas Constitution that you have to at least own a six-shooter revolver before you can become a resident here. Otherwise, you might be mistaken for a damn yankee carpetbagger...

Now c'mon, John! A shotgun will work as long as you go dove hunting, and know when to change out the choke :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Now c'mon, John! A shotgun will work as long as you go dove hunting, and know when to change out the choke :)
Wendy W.

This is true as LONG as you refer to it as a scatter gun about half of the time.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yes, if you can talk intelligently about shotgun things like "full choke" and "modified choke", then I guess we can forgive a newcomer for not owning a revolver.

And besides, you can carry a long gun in your vehicle anywhere you go in Texas, without a special license.

I had an epihpany this evening. I realized what the best thing about moving to Texas is going to be.

I will no longer have to go searching from store to store only to find out that nobody has Shiner Bock in stock.

Mmmm...

I will no longer have to go searching from store to store only to find out that nobody has Shiner Bock in stock.

Game day weekends in my town are kind of like that when looking for kegs of Shiner. Everyone gets sold out of those things.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."