i1tojump

Not sure where to post this, but..

Since I really only lurk and sometimes post here in the Bonfire forum, I figured I would try posting this here first. If the Mods feel it should go into the General forum then feel free to move it there.
OKay, here is my situation.

I have not been jumping recently because of everything that was going on in my life. My last jump was in July of 2005. I haven't jumped since then because I was having bad luck in pretty much every aspect of my life and to be completely honest, I didn't want to take any chances jumping with the string of bad luck that I was having.
Now, getting to the point of this post.
I have decided recently to get back into the sport. When I was jumping regularly (20-30 jumps per month on average) I was piloting a Stiletto 150 loaded at 1.4. I consider myself as fairly conservative under canopy and haven't really gotten into the whole Hi-Perf landing thing and just enjoy the flight characteristics of the elliptical canopy. So getting to the point, I no longer have that canopy because of a very hard opening I had back in June of 2005 which cause severe damage to my main. I went back to jumping my old main which is a Sabre (1) 150. I jumped that canopy until July of 2005 when I took this break from jumping. Since I have decided to get back into jumping again, I sent the Stiletto back to PD for a estimate on what repairing it would cost. Since it was still fairly new (about 300 jumps) I figured that as long as the repairs were not too great I would just have it fixed and keep it as my regular main. However, just got the estimate and it's almost $1,000 just to repair. Not worth it in my opinion. So, I am thinking about buying a new canopy instead. I liked my Stiletto and all, but I figured that if I have to get a new canopy, I might as well get something newer in design and that I would be happy with for a long time to come. That being said, I am asking for recommendations from the more experienced jumpers out there on what I should buy as my next long term canopy. It goes without saying that since I took a break for a long as I did, that I will be easing back into things by renting/demo canopies that are larger and more docile until I am up to speed again. I am thinking of going with PD's Katana 150 as my first choice once I am back up to speed. I guess what I am looking for is some guidance and words of wisdom from the more experienced folks on here.
Blue Skies,
Bill

I am thinking of going with PD's Katana 150 as my first choice once I am back up to speed.I am thinking of going with PD's Katana 150 as my first choice once I am back up to speed.

Its a really hot-shit canopy. If you do a search you'll find my review of the Katana 150 right after they came out. The biggest factor in your decision is jumping that canopy. Obviously you have a canopy for the time being, a Sabre1 150. You'll probably want to borrow a rig with a 170-190 sized canopy for your first few jumps back to get the feel again.

After that, demo a Katana 170 for two weeks then demo a Katana 150. The reason why I say this is the Katana is such a higher performance canopy then the Stiletto that if you jumped the 170 then the 150 you'd understand. You might be fine going right to a 150 after getting a number of jumps back under your belt, but that's between you and whom ever you mentors are at your DZ.

Good luck and have fun!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I wont be jumping the Sabre 150 that I already have, because 1. I don't like the hard openings it sometimes would give and 2 it could use a new line set because the lines have shrunk over time and is a bit out of trim and can't get full flight out of it. IMO it's not worth spending the money for the short time that I would actually use it just to wind back up in the closet not to be used again.

Ok then get your hands on a good "stepping stone" canopy to put 50-100 jumps on while you're getting your "feet wet" again. A good canopy that would be a good transition canopy would be a Sabre2 170 or 150. I would personally recommend a 170 for atleast your first few jumps back. The Sabre2 has a pretty steep glide and the Katana is even steeper.

Having jumped every canopy that PD makes (PD 9-cell, Sabre1, Sabre2, Vengence, Stiletto, Silhoette, Navigator, Velocity, but not the Lightening) for sport jumping I recommend the Sabre2. Having jumped the Safire2, Crossfire2 and VX I still recommend the Sabre2. Having jumped the Pilot, Triathalon and Mamba, I still recommend the Sabre2. Having jumped the Cobalt and Nitro, I still recommend the Sabre2...well, you get the idea. For a non-xbraced high performance canopy, I recommend the Katana for anyone that wants to jump it AND has the jump numbers as well as the skill to jump it.

(No, I'm not sponsered by PD, nor am I even talented enough to ask for sponserhip).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

(No, I'm not sponsered by PD, nor am I even talented enough to ask for sponserhip).

Ya can't spell it either :P

Having jumped the Pilot, Triathalon and Mamba, I still recommend the Sabre2. Having jumped the Cobalt and Nitro, I still recommend the Sabre2...well, you get the idea.

You are a good advertiser for the Mamba <--- clicky

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

20-30 jumps a month in the northern states is really only about 120-150 jumps a year at max. Even when I was doing 200 jumps in 6 months I was not sure I was ready for a Katana. A Katana is almost a Velocity, minus the Crossbraces.

Check out a Sabre2, Pilot or even a Lotus. All 3 are great canopies that will help develop your skills a lot.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

20-30 jumps a month in the northern states is really only about 120-150 jumps a year at max. Even when I was doing 200 jumps in 6 months I was not sure I was ready for a Katana. A Katana is almost a Velocity, minus the Crossbraces.

Check out a Sabre2, Pilot or even a Lotus. All 3 are great canopies that will help develop your skills a lot.

Thanks for the input. I say 20-30 jumps a month based on a yearly average. My jumping is not limited to just the North East as I am able to travel regularly to warmer climates during our colder seasons.

Looking at your profile you've done about 100 jumps a year right? If you insist on getting a high proformance canopy get the Stiletto instead of the Katana. That said, the Sabre2 is a sweet canopy that can really swoop if you know how to fly it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Not sure what to put for a thread title either...

Figured that people would click the link anyway and the title is not as important as the guidance I am seeking ;)

The title is what gets people's attention, and thus leads to the guidance you seek. Non-specific titles cause people to skip over the thread, uninterested, when they may be just the people with the magic answer you seek. Marketing is everything. My suggested thread title is shown above.

Looking at your profile you've done about 100 jumps a year right? If you insist on getting a high proformance canopy get the Stiletto instead of the Katana. That said, the Sabre2 is a sweet canopy that can really swoop if you know how to fly it.

Yes, my overall average is about 100 per year, but thats due to a slow start in the beginning due to weather holds and all when I was a new jumper and not jumping since July of 2005 until present. During the time in between I stayed very consistant, was personally coached in canopy control by Heath Richardson. I was cleared to jump my Stiletto by the instructors at my DZ by around jump #200. I can completely understand where you are coming from, but while #'s do mean a lot in many ways, so does ability, training, good decision making skills and experiences that those #'s brought.