Stumpy

Modern art - I don't get it

Just listening to someone on the TV talking about how rothgo's paintings have movement and passion and how they are the most beautiful things he has seen. They are two similar coloured rectangles!!!! WTF is going on? Am i not seeing something? I'm not saying i don't like the paintings - but i don't understand the BS some people read into them!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Have to agree. It's the pretentious dickheads (like that "Tracy WhoTheFuckCares", who puts shite in the Tate Modern) that wind me up.... and the fawning art critic jurnos that think that her stuff is Oh SO Now and Comments on society.... Blaa Blaaa Blaa

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

They are on TV right now - i know what you are saying but i have been to the Tate Modern (well, both of them in the UK) and i like a lot of the pics/ sculptures in themselves and their aesthetics, but the tickets on the walls newt to them that tell me what the artist was thinking/ what we are supposed to think sound a lot like a load of self serving hokum to me!!

And you can forget about the majority of turner prize stuff - mouldy sheds and shit :D
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I've never been a big fan of certain art BS either, but I have to admit that I did feel a bit moved the first time I ever saw an actual Rothko.

I had the same reaction the first time I saw a Jackson Pollack painting in person. Pictures can't do it justice. At the same time, having seen the some the great museums in Europe leaves me a little underwhelmed by some of the arte moderne.

Maybe it's the sieve of time that winnows out the crap and leaves you with the idea that all Renaissance painters were masters. I've seen frescoes in old churches that, though impressive in size, seemed mediocre in technique to my untrained eye. A lot of poor art over the centuries may have simply ended up in the fireplace one cold night.:o I've seen plenty of schlocky modern art that could go right there, too. :D

A documentary film called
Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollock?
opens in New York next week.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts//2006/11/06/bapollock06.xml&page=1

A lady that bought a $5 canvas for a depressed friend and then couldn't fit it into her friends trailer...15 yrs. later is still looking to prove it a Jackson Pollack....
it could be worth up to $50 million.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I don't get a lot of "modern art" either...most of it leaves me cold.

I just spent all last Thursday going through the Chicago Art Museum, and I can't think of one abstract/modern painting I truly enjoyed. I'll stick with the Manet-Monet impressionists - those were gorgeous.
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

I didn't see one Thursday at the Museum - maybe if I actually saw one it might make a difference, I dunno. Next time I go I'll have to make a point of asking if they have one on display.
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Hmmm.....well, I do like the black, blue, yellow color scheme going on. And it is certainley more appealing than, say, a Picasso abstract that has a foot coming out of someone's head:S

But, at this point, if given a choice between Pollack and Monet, the frenchy wins!;)

Thanks for posting up the Pollock though!

Hmmm.....well, I do like the black, blue, yellow color scheme going on. And it is certainley more appealing than, say, a Picasso abstract that has a foot coming out of someone's head:S

But, at this point, if given a choice between Pollack and Monet, the frenchy wins!;)

Thanks for posting up the Pollock though!

Oh, I really like Monet, and many of the Impressionists. Pollack, though, is right up there too, albeit on a different level.

If you get a chance see the one that's at Chicago. It's a wall-size mural and is really nice.
This ad space for sale.