LisaM

Well I'll be damned!

Ok so I asked my mom why in the world my pants pockets were sewn shut. I was thinking her reply would be "well never shop there again".

Instead she tells me they are supposed to be like that if they are a nice pair of slacks. Huh?

Ok, I am 33 and apparently am just now buying "nice" clothes.

I am still in shock. And want to know why they don't do this to men's clothes.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

The idea is that the pockets won't get stretched out or ripped while they are in the store being handled by dozens of people. They generally aren't meant to remain that way- once you take them home, they should be easy to open up. :P

And I think they do the same thing to men's suits, jackets and dress slacks.

Im not some kind of fashion expert here, but I do use quite expensive cloth (mainly because of business issues) and I can tell you that the only reason a pant does not have pockets its because of its design, fabric, and (dont know the technical name for this in english) the way the fabric falls over your skin. Considering this, a pocket, would change the way the fabric moves while you walk and for that, it would change the whole "looks" of it. So, considering this, a pocket being sewd or not, does not necesarely reflect whether its an expensive, exclusive or beautiful piece. I for example, of all pants, suits, etc only have ONE blue Dior linen suit that does not have any pockets either... but ALL of my other suits/pants/etc have pockets... which I dont use anyway. :)Dont know if there is another, more technical, explanation for this, but at least this is my experience.
Hope it helps ;)

They generally aren't meant to remain that way- once you take them home, they should be easy to open up.

Oh... that's also very true. (thought you meant that your pants had NO pockets, but it "looked" like if they had.) All expensive suits/pants/etc do come like this. You should be able to pick up one end of the string and pull it easily to un-sew the pocket after you buy it.

It's not always done on the pants, but it's almost universal on the outside coat pockets.

the outside pockets on all U.S. Air Force dress uniforms (jacket) have only a token pocket, there is the pocket flap, but no actual pocket..

I am still in shock. And want to know why they don't do this to men's clothes.

They do Lisa, in fact they sew the pockets shut on our suit dress jackets also. It is mainly done not for the sake of just doing so to be annoying it actually serves a purpose, it stablizes the suit more, during the process of making the item and during alterations/tailoring.
You're as wonderful as a slinkie!! NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

And want to know why they don't do this to men's clothes.

Men would find it unacceptable to not have access for the scratches needed - sometimes at intervals of thirty second or less.

Women would also abjoect to this - without pockets, how on earth will she be able to raid them?

My wife is hotter than your wife.