bloody_trauma

What say you of Hybrid cars?

Anyone who pays $24,000 to save $500 in gas every year deserves one. Just think, in 48 years the damn thing pays for itself!!!

Geez...I LOVE MARKETING!!!!!!!! Just proves that you can sell ANYTHING to ANYONE!!!

that's wooly logic if i ever heard it.

you' don't have to recoup the entire cost of the car for it to make sense.. just the DIFFERENCE in cost... which will be recouped much more quickly, especially if gas prices stay high or get higher.

PLUS you get tax breaks (which alone can nearly make up for the cost difference in some cases).

PLUS it's better to the environment to burn less fuel.
PLUS every one that's bought creates more of a market case for the other manufacturers to bring BETTER alternative vehicles to the market.
PLUS every one that gets bought increases the production volume which will ultimately drive the price down further and make the ROI even quicker.

oh yeah, and there are commuter-lane benefits too.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I agree with Jerm - I think his list hit the nail on the head. I would imagine that the price for Hybrid cars will continue to go decrease as the technology becomes more mainstream - plus it just feels good to buy less gas - Hell, if I were in the market for a $15,000 used car - I would look seriously at a Hybrid.
=========Shaun ==========

I think they are great except if you live where it snows...

The Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Villager hybrid both have 4X4 options. But they aren't cheap [:/] If you live in Colorado, the state gives you about a $2,000 tax credit for buying one, though.

I was part of a team of fourth-year engineering students that built a hybrid car in 1992 as part of the Ford Hybrid challenge. 30 schools competed in this first-of-its-kind event. We took all our cars to Dearborn, Michigan in spring of '93 and raced them in a series of events, including distance, speed, maneuverability, etc. We spent $38K on the car and came in seventh. The winner was a Canadian school that spent a quarter-million on their car. It's nice to see hybrids commercially available after working on them as a theoretical project more than 10 years ago.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD