bloody_trauma

Drowned in molasses?

The United States Alcohol Company owned 2.3 million gallons of molasses and the largest storage tank in Boston that contained it. The steel structure was ninety feet in diameter and fifty-two feet in height. Then around noon, on January 15, 1919, the tank blew up with a tremendous roar.
Chunks of metal flew everywhere, piercing into people and buildings for hundreds of feet around. A twenty foot wave of molasses was sent out that travelled at 35 miles per hour. It splashed onto city streets in all directions, drowning all sorts of people and animals. Molasses was smeared onto trees, rooftops and overhead wires.
Rescue workers soon rushed into the area. Salt water was sprayed onto cobblestone streets, homes and other buildings. Hydraulic pumps were used to pump the molasses out of basements. In all, 21 people died and 150 people were injured.
The distillery was brought to court; 125 different suits of damages were brought against them. In 1925 the distillery had to pay out more than a million dollars in damages.
On the day of the explosion the temperature was 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On the day before the explosion the temperature was 2 degrees Fahrenheit. It is believed that the sudden increase in temperature caused the molasses to expand and the tank to explode.
Fly it like you stole it

I watched an Engineering Disasters show a few months ago. It made no mention at all of expansion as the cause. It did mention that the tank was not designed properly, riveting of the tank sections was done wrong, and they did not use the specified steel thickness.

I really wonder where how they made that conclusion about the expansion. I would expect any storage tank to have a vent. Also, a large volume of molasses would take a very long time for much of it to increase in temp.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am