floridadiver81

a 260 Main into a J4?

Is this possible or is the main too big? I looked at the sizing chart..but that chart conflicts with what the current owner has in the reserve. The chart states that a J4 reserve should be a 176...but the J5 states that it should be a 218 reserve..which is what the reserve is currently. Im looking into buying the container and reserve off of him..and wanted to see the advice of those that had had experiance with these containers. I found a really good deal on a F-111 260 main and im hoping it fits into that container. Thank you in advance for any help!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

There is a bit of flexibility in mis-matching components. You can usually get away with a canopy one size (15 to 20 square feet) larger or smaller, but two sizes - difference - becomes a struggle to close or a pre-mature deployment waiting to happen.

Sorry, but I don't have a Javelin sizing chart handy, but do know that you need a Javelin J7 to accommodate a 290 or 300 square foot student main, ergo, I expect that you need at least a Javelin J6 for a 260 main.
You might be able to muscle a 260 into a J5, but you will not enjoy the struggle.

Actually that is what im going to do. I decided to hold off on buying rig gear until i personally have the experiance enough to make the correct choices. Till then ill jsut get an alti, goggles, helmet, jumpsuit....hmm...what else do i need??
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Actually that is what im going to do. I decided to hold off on buying rig gear until i personally have the experiance enough to make the correct choices. Till then ill jsut get an alti, goggles, helmet, jumpsuit....hmm...what else do i need??

Good decision! Unless, you have an endless suply of money, this is a good course to follow. I think, you're right-on.

Chuck

good plan, judging by other young divers i see they tend to want to downsize relatively early to something around a 190. If you have your own rig, you're gonna have to sell it first then buy a smaller one. Using your clubs rigs lets you get the required experience, without committing to something that is going to be too slow for what you will (probably) want as soon as it is safe for you to get.
Between the sadness and the smile, lies the flicker of the fire. You always said this never hurt you, I always said you were a liar.