autoset

Things every newbie sould know? Please help a bit.

The deployment method shown in your picture is sometimes used in crw, called russian pullout: the pilot chute is packed in the BOC but you pull the pin before you release the pilot chute.

Interesting! I've never heard of this (among the whole lot of other things, I am sure :)

Compared to throw out?
More consistent openings in low airspeed.

For freefall there are no big advantages (if any at all) and there are more risks than using a throw-out.

Compared to throw out?
More consistent openings in low airspeed.

For freefall there are no big advantages (if any at all) and there are more risks than using a throw-out.

Thanks! I was thinking about subterminal deployment after re-reading your post, since you mentioned CRW... :)
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

cute drawings nice labeling

the location of the pin is waaay off, however...
not sure of exact length, but most bridles are 7 to ten feet, i would guess...and the pin is never at or near the middle of the bridle, It is near the end which connects to the main d bag.....You notice that when you pack your parachute.... Right????

to my way of thinking, this has always meant that once that P. C. gets away.... It "plants itself" in the air,,,, we continue falling at near terminal and quite quickly get below the PC by the length of that bridle, and POP the pin gets extracted from the closing loop...
The snatch force applied to the pin by the inflated PC is much greater at bridle length, than it is when the PC first leaves our hand...
That Yank,,, should ensure a positive pin extraction... much greater I would guess than most peoples' arm strength...
Let the PC pull the pin, at 'bridle stretch' and be sure to correctly cock it if it is a 'kill line' PC.
jmy

The deployment method shown in your picture is sometimes used in crw, called russian pullout: the pilot chute is packed in the BOC but you pull the pin before you release the pilot chute.

Interesting! I've never heard of this (among the whole lot of other things, I am sure :)

A lot of people here jump pull-outs. some because they do crw and need to have more control over when EXACTLY to pull the pin (since you do that by hand) and some because pull out has a few advantages also in freefall, like no pilot chute to sneak out when it's not supposed to (freefly, exits) and much less chance of a pilot chute in tow (it IS possible still but very slight chance) for instance. Since you are not advised to jump pull out for wingsuit I don't jump it, otherwise I might (my rig is set up for it just need another pilotchute + bridle).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Take some cold beer to the dropzone and after jumping is over hand a couple to some of the experienced jumpers and/or instructors and tell them you'd like to learn more about how the gear works. This type of introductory search for knowledge needs to be handled face to face with some gear or other teaching aids to help you understand. The more you learn the more questions you will have but you will gain some knowledge of the basics along the way.

Don't forget that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Which skecth do you mean?

i was refering to autoset's image " 176 " in the original post...
see how the pin is shown in the middle of the bridle...?
( i know it's a rough diagram and not to scale)..
my point is about the added benefit achieved when the bridle is pulled tight...just as the pin gets pulled.
jmy

>the pin placement in the bridle would be the only difference (pin
>placed closer to the pilot chute), it has nothing to do with bridle
>length.

It definitely does. Bridle length has to do with a lot of factors - what kind of PC, what sort of deployment system, what sort of flying the jumper does etc. You can't just change one part of a deployment system and have nothing else affected.

>Anyway why do you think the kind of deployment in the pic wouldn't work?

You're basically talking about throwout vs pullout, which has been argued to death over the years. I suggest you do a search on those topics to better acquaint yourself with deployment systems.

Agreed... STRONGLY recommend that dz.com supplement what you are taught at your home DZ. If they don't answer your questions, get a new DZ. This is NOT the place to learn fundimentals from scratch.

JW

Take some cold beer to the dropzone and after jumping is over hand a couple to some of the experienced jumpers and/or instructors and tell them you'd like to learn more about how the gear works. This type of introductory search for knowledge needs to be handled face to face with some gear or other teaching aids to help you understand. The more you learn the more questions you will have but you will gain some knowledge of the basics along the way.

Don't forget that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

cute drawings nice labeling

the location of the pin is waaay off, however...
not sure of exact length, but most bridles are 7 to ten feet ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On second reading, your numbers make sense.

On most throw-out bridles, the curved pin is 6 feet from the base of the pilot chute, with another foot or so to the d-bag.
Now wing-suiters prefer 9 foot bridles ... with another foot or so to the d-bag.

A lot of people here jump pull-outs. some because they do crw and need to have more control ....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If pull-outs are so much better, how come they only represent five percent of total sales?

I didn't say they were better just different. For me, not better, although for serious crw or freefly I'd probably jump pull-out too. I'm thinking there's more than 5% pull-outs at my DZ, at least among up jumpers, but havent counted ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia