iluvtofly

Collapsible Slider vs. Non-Collapsible Slider

As a newbie looking for my own personal gear I was wondering what all of the differences are between a collapsible slider and a non-collapsible slider. I know that with a collapsible slider it is considerably quieter. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages? Thanks for your input.

Less damage to lines (and slider grommets if you do not have good bumpers).

You need a collapsible slider if you have softlinks without bumpers, because the slider will have a tendency to come down over softlinks by itself thereby trapping your brakelines (had that happen a few times) if you do not collapse it and then pull it down behind your head.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The collapsible slider does several things. It certainly reduces that irritating flap flap noise. It also reduces wear and drag. The best part though is it improves the performance or the canopy (only a few %). By pulling the slider down, you spread the canopy out a little allowing for a more efficient airfoil. You will get more from your canopy if you do this.

As a side note, if you kill the slider and don't pull it down, you constrict the canopy more then if you just left it alone. The reduced drag from collapsing the slider, is a slight offset for the degradation in performance but if you have a collapsible slider you really should stow it.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

so the slider when collapsed should be stowed ?......

when i pull it down to about my neck line it always comes back up a bit to the top of my head and flaps , I've seen people with elastic bands around there reserve top flap they pull there slider through but not tyred this myself as I've not really spoke to anyone about it . but now with the comment earlier about if you collapse your slider and don't stow it (which is what I've been doing ) i would like to be enlightened on the subject ..

so please bring it on :-)
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

As a side note, if you kill the slider and don't pull it down, you constrict the canopy more then if you just left it alone.

Really? Why? Do you mean that the front and rear risers are forced closer to each other?

By the way, I feel that I could get my slider down to behind my neck without actually collapsing it. Is it stupid?
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

Yes, the canopy is distorted slightly by the slider being collapsed and left up. This is a result of the risers being brought together front to back and side to side. The loss in performance is only a fraction of a percent.

If you can keep it down without killing it, more power to ya. It seems unlikely that your slider will remain down without some type of help.

The slider only needs a little help staying down. Putting a couple of tabs on the risers is more then enough. If you want to make any type of mod to your rig, consult someone at the DZ who knows about this stuff.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Not quite.
Once they slider is down (i.e. at the top of the risers) there is no tension fore and aft, however, there is still spanwise tension on the slider, because the slider prevents the risers from spreading sideways. Allowing the risers to spread further improves stability and flattens glide ... a little.

There are two ways to allow risers to spread as wide as they want.
The first method requires pulling the slider down to neck level (bottom of the risers) and loosening the chest strap.
This method is popular with (old-school) accuracy competitors and pond swoopers.

The other method - of allowing the risers to spread fully - involves eliminating the slider and attaching risers to the hips.
The 'hip' method is popular with para-gliders and some ground-launchers, but is probably not practical for high-speed openings.

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages?

On smaller/faster canopies, the flapping of an uncollapsed slider when in full-flight (after you release the brakes) can actually shake your whole harness considerably. It's rather disconcerting, and probably not good for wear on your slinks, risers, or lower suspension lines.

I always collapse my slider and pull it down behind my head. I had my rigger stitch a couple wraps of webbing around my risers near the bottom to trap the grommets and keep the slider down. Any rigger should be able to do this for a few bucks if you ask them to.

By the way, if you do decide to start pulling your slider down behind your head (necessarily passing it over your links, toggles, and excess brake line) make sure the keepers you stow your toggles in are in good shape and be sure to do so carefully so as not to get hung up on or release a brake in the process. This would very likely result in a, "Well, I'm an idiot..." malfunction and cutaway. And of course, as always, don't let adding something else to your deployment routine get in the way of making sure you don't have a canopy collision or fly the wrong way too long and end up having to land off.