kkeenan

Parachuting Study

That is the funniest bit of satire I've read in a long while. :D
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Gordon C S Smith, professor1, Jill P Pell, consultant2

1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, 2 Department of Public Health, Greater Glasgow NHS Board, Glasgow G3 8YU

Contributors: GCSS had the original idea. JPP tried to talk him out of it. JPP did the first literature search but GCSS lost it. GCSS drafted the manuscript but JPP deleted all the best jokes. GCSS is the guarantor, and JPP says it serves him right.
Funding: None.

Dept of gynocology? WTF? :S:$:o:D

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

For the sake of arguing that this could be legitimate and real, they make a valid point here: "an adverse outcome after free fall is by no means inevitable."
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

This is real. I do biomedical research, specifically on women's health. Ever since the results of the Women's Health Initiative (a large clinical trial studying the effects of hormone replacement therapy use on cardiovascular disease, breast cancer, and other chronic diseases) were published in 2002, there has been some debate regarding the validity of observational studies. In this case, several large observational studies had shown beneficial effects of HRT use on cardiovascular disease and no negative effect on breast cancer. However, the clinical trial, which was considered the gold-standard, showed negative effects on both of those outcomes. Since then major discrepancies have been found with the design of the clinical trial, but I won't bore you with the details. IMO, this "study" does a great job arguing the validity of observational studies. Also, the OB/GYN background of the authors is not surprising since these are the practitioners most commonly involved with hormone replacement therapy counseling, prescription, etc.

Results We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention.

If it is randomised then it wouldn't be controlled right?

Also where were they looking to identify this?

You're right this is f'd up. I could only read a few lines.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

WOW, is that funny!

This is my favorite part...

" It might be argued that the pressure exerted on individuals to use parachutes is yet another example of a natural, life enhancing experience being turned into a situation of fear and dependency. "

So, I'm fearful and dependent when I jump WITH my parachute, but would have a natural and life-enhancing experience if I jumped without one??? :S:D

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

From now on, I am not going to refer to myself as a skydiver. I am "gravitationally challenged."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke