hjumper33

Student Gear

Just wondering what people have at their local DZs for student gear. My ex started jumping not too long ago and the DZ she jumps at only has 230s and 290 with rip cords, so she never jumped a wingloading over .5 until she came to visit me. I was lucky enought to learn on fairly new javelins with BOC throw out and sabre 2 mains when I was ready for them and I kind of thought this was standard. I actually think its kind of dangerous for her to be jumping that light of a wingloading as she went backwards on several of her jumps resulting in landing out. Its difficult for me to help her find gear as she only has a couple of jumps on anything thats not 100 sq ft above a 135 that she would be loading at .95.

Our DZ has 290's and 230's, SL/ripcord/BOC. But the shop next door rents everything from 230 to 135's so you can try out different canopies and different sizes before buying your own (generally a 170).

Going to a 135 before 400 jumps is prohibited here anyway.

If a student goes backward she shouldn't be jumping or spot better to avoid landing out if she has a few more jumps. I learned on 288-230's and never landed out on a jump with one of those (~ 50 jumps, at a wl of 0.5 or so) even in higher winds. I couldn't transfer to BOC earlier than that, nowadays the rules make it easier so people get off ripcord sooner and can therefor downsize sooner.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We have Vector II's (that are well maintained and not too old) with Navigators from 300 down to 200sq ft. All BOC and standard (non-SOS) cutaway systems. We continues with available Sabre IIs from 190 to 150sq ft for our coach students whom are smaller people and/or our post A-license jumpers to rent and continue to learn on until they reach an approapiate size to purchase their first canopy. That might be a 240 or that might be a 150, it all depends on the wingloadings, the person, etc. Obviously the 150 isn't used all too often, but we had a string of little college chicks come through to get their licenses that weighed about 135lbs out the door with gear on.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"If a student goes backward she shouldn't be jumping or spot better to avoid landing out if she has a few more jumps. I learned on 288-230's and never landed out on a jump with one of those (~ 50 jumps, at a wl of 0.5 or so) even in higher winds. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the midwest here in the fall ground winds can be a lot different from uppers. A 102 lbs girl on a 290 will go backwards, no matter what the spot if the winds are almost anything. You must have had some crazy long spots or incredibly strong arms to get a perfect landing on every spot.

At Pitt Meadows, we have Sidewinder containers (similar to Vector 2) containing Solo 270 mains.
We also have a couple of transition rigs containing Skymaster 230 main canopies.
We also have four rental rigs containing Hornet 190 mains.
Most of the time, we also have a rental rig containing a Sabre 170.

Remember that only the largest and busiest skydiving schools can afford a variety of sizes of transition rigs.
Also remember that many instructors are reluctant to let students jump parachutes that might be too small.
For example, many years ago, Pitt Meadows had only one student rig - containing a canopy smaller than 290. Following Murphy's Law, a large, fat student jumped that rig and broke his ankle!

If a student goes backward she shouldn't be jumping or spot better to avoid landing out if she has a few more jumps. I learned on 288-230's and never landed out on a jump with one of those (~ 50 jumps, at a wl of 0.5 or so) even in higher winds. I couldn't transfer to BOC earlier than that, nowadays the rules make it easier so people get off ripcord sooner and can therefor downsize sooner.

I disagree... She has every right to be jumping, she just has to be mindful of the spot and the winds. I'm not sure if you're simply saying she doesn't deserve to jump due to her size, or you're making a point that she should be very careful of the winds but either way. I do agree to the rule about not getting a 135 before 400 jumps, and that is very smart, but I don't think that takes into consideration all jumpers.

I did all my training on Manta 288's and yes, I went backwards too. I was loading it at roughly .45:1. My DZ only has 288's and a Navigator 280 that I also used. After PFF(AFF), I was using a borrowed 210 from jump 10 to 15. I then put 1 jump on a 170, and the next 10 were on a 150. At this point my instructors cleared me to jump the gear we had agreed would be suitable, my Spectre 135. I have been jumping that since jump 30 or so. I'm now at 55 jumps and still on my 135, love it and don't think I'll ever downsize. Maybe eventually go elliptical but that's probably it. I'm not saying this is a good downsizing route for anyone, including myself, but I trust my instructors and I have been doing very well. I haven't even gotten my legstraps dirty...yet... I am very cautious and not pushing my luck at all, that's why my instructors said I'd be ok under the 135.

I have never once landed out, at any of the dropzones I've been to. I came close once when I was in New York, but we were told to get out, and the spot looked decent to me so we did. I landed on the property, but not far from the treeline.

To be honest though...I had a few times where I got scared under the very lightly loaded canopy especially coming in for landing. I dreaded a collapse, but thankfully it never happened.

The only reason I could see a need for me to downsize from a 135 would be to increase the wingloading slightly for a more stable flight in rougher conditions to prevent collapse, but I'm not terribly concerned under a Spectre loaded about .96:1.

My 0.02 cents.

Chris

EDIT:Spelling...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Wow, you're .96:1 on a Spectre 135? I can't believe it! A dude smaller than me (not by much).

What's your average fall rate, if you don't mind me asking?

Hey thats enough out of you. Less posting more eating!!!! >:( :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Backing Chris here ...
Standard at most DZs I have worked is to drop first solo (IAD or S/L) jump students with 270-290 square foot mains.
After they have demonstrated one or two decent landings under Mantas (288) we switched them to 230s.
I have even allowed a couple of petite lady students to jump 230s on their first solo jumps.(IAD).