Grips

New York in 48 Hours

depends on what kind of stuff they're into - doable stuff - empire state building...central park(strawberry fields)...times square... you can try to see a show... rockafellar center... st pats... museum of natural history... the metropolitan museum of art..

there are some ideas - what do they like - where are you staying?
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I live in nyc, and I dont go there, but you should probably stop in times square just to check it out. Also, Grand Central is a pretty cool building with the constellations on the ceiling. If you go down bleecker street near McDougal you will always find free comedy shows or live music. Chinatown is fun for a few hours.

If you are in nyc on a Thursday night, go to Puck Fair - its a bar on Lafayette street right below Houston Street (F-train to Broadway-lafayette or 6-train to Bleecker). On skydiver Thursdays Pauli from the Ranch bartends at the downstairs bar. Tell him you jump and he'll make sure you have a drink in your hand all night.

Cool! It all sounds like so much fun.

Somebody on the the forum recommended the YMCA next to Central Park. I think I'll just crash out there for a couple nights. Is it pretty safe there?

I live in nyc, and I dont go there, but you should probably stop in times square just to check it out. Also, Grand Central is a pretty cool building with the constellations on the ceiling. If you go down bleecker street near McDougal you will always find free comedy shows or live music. Chinatown is fun for a few hours.

If you are in nyc on a Thursday night, go to Puck Fair - its a bar on Lafayette street right below Houston Street (F-train to Broadway-lafayette or 6-train to Bleecker). On skydiver Thursdays Pauli from the Ranch bartends at the downstairs bar. Tell him you jump and he'll make sure you have a drink in your hand all night.

I won't be in NY on Thursday though, which stinks, but I will be in Vegas. So, I guess thats a fair trade.

Anybody from NY going to Oz in the near future? You can crash out at my place if I can crash out at yours.

;)

Hey thanks man. I'm checking it out right now. I booked at the YMCA for now, but I can cancel without being penalized anytime, as long as its three days before. I've read mixed reviews about the YMCA. I guess that adds to the adventure though.B|

My friends have always been happy there. Nothing special, but nothing scary either. Just don't waste your time with the little "cafe" located off the lobby.

It gives you great access to the 1/9 and A/C/B/D trains at Columbus Circle or the N at 57th and you can just walk or bus across Central Park South if you want to get over to the east side trains. Pretty good location overall.
Killing threads since 2004.

Take an afternoon river cruise that go down to the Statue of Liberty. It's a great way to see the skyline and get a little info about the city. The trip we went on last month was about 90 min long and a nice break from walking all over the city.

We also enjoyed Central Park, Times Square and the Natural History Museum.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Try the Staten Island Ferry too. It goes close enough to get a good view of the statue, you get great views leaving and returning to lower Manhattan, and the best part is that it is FREE!

Also, if you happen to be over near the hudson on the west side and need to go up or downtown, check out the water taxi. Sometimes a nice alternative to a regular cab (assuming they are still running - they had just started when I left town).

Pizza? About every 10 storefronts is a Pizza shop. :)
I love going to NYC. The Natural History Muesem is cool, as is Central Park. Swing through Canal Street and Chinatown if you want some great food. Near SoHo is some good Indian places if you like that too. Times Square is cool, but only at night. Columbus Circle is cool if they have the street vendors outside. Its kinda cool to see the venders selling their "natural" products and actually doing quite well at it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Is a trip to the Statue an all day thing, or can it be done in a half day?

Also, where can I get a big fat, NY Pizza!?

I'll be honest that I have no idea, I never went on the actual tour over to the statue itself, and usually kept friends visiting so busy that we never took the time to find out how long it took, just enjoyed the 45 minute or so off our feet while going out and back on the Staten Island Ferry.

You can find pretty good pizza pretty much anywhere. Everyone has their own favorite. My personal favorite is a place called Papa Aldos out in Astoria, but that wouldn't be worth a trip all the way out there for you.

If you want an impressively huge slice (of varying quality) you should check out Cornet (or maybe Kornet). I don't think I ever saw a larger slice. You would have to do a search for their locations. I used to go to one once in while that was up around 110th and Broadway or so. Otherwise, most of the pizza places will probably suffice for what you are looking for. Famous Famiglia, which is all over the place, usually had a palatable slice!

Garlic knots rock my world too. Little garlic smatherd dough balls. Worth checking out!

Mmmm...writing that much about pizza so easily makes me realize why it is that I'm in need of participation in the DZ.com Belly Off!

my favorite is in brooklyn.. however like everyone said you can get a good slice most every block...

one of my favorites IN nyc is bens down in the village - its on 3rd an macdougal
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

my favorite is in brooklyn.. however like everyone said you can get a good slice most every block...

one of my favorites IN nyc is bens down in the village - its on 3rd an macdougal

Never heard of that one. Lombardi's is pretty cool too. Not the stereotypical "New York slice" but has been around forever and huge on history.

JOHNS PIZZA!!! Absolutely the best pizza in NYC, better than Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, and even Ray's (which isnt that great.) BUT- they only sell by the pie. Its so worth it. They have a few, the one near times square, I think its 44th or 45th is good, but so is the one on Bleecker Street, just east of 7th avenue. Basically In NY, if there's a line out the door in the cold, you know its got to be either 1) Excellent or 2) Pretty good and Cheap!!

When are you coming to the city?

JOHNS PIZZA!!! Absolutely the best pizza in NYC, better than Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, and even Ray's (which isnt that great.) BUT- they only sell by the pie. Its so worth it. They have a few, the one near times square, I think its 44th or 45th is good, but so is the one on Bleecker Street, just east of 7th avenue. Basically In NY, if there's a line out the door in the cold, you know its got to be either 1) Excellent or 2) Pretty good and Cheap!!

When are you coming to the city?

I'm gonna be there in April. Its only a brief trip. April 9-11.

I've been to NYC only once before. Times Square when it turned 2000. I drove from Cali. A Trip of a lifetime! NY blew my socks off. I fell in love with it immdiately. I've travelled a fair bit, and still have not come across quite anything like it. Still got to do Hong Kong, and Tokyo, probably NYs closest paralells. However, until then NYC is MAD!

I can't wait!

Is a trip to the Statue an all day thing, or can it be done in a half day?

Also, where can I get a big fat, NY Pizza!?

best place is in the Bronx! You can go to almost any of the pizza places on Arthur Avenue. It's the real "little Italy". Just stay off of 182nd street. you can get killed...but then again, it's winter, so most of the thugs aren't hanging on the streets.
Mistakes-It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.