NWFlyer

Home Security for Broken Windows

So my neighbors' garage (which is immediately next to mine) got tagged with graffiti this weekend. Annoying for them, of course, and made me feel somewhat violated since it could have just as easily been my door, and sort of woke me up to the fact that my sleepy little neighborhood isn't necessarily the bastion of safety I like to think it is.

It's prompting me to do some home security things I've been meaning to do for a while.

1) Replace my front door lock. I have a deadbolt that operates using a key on the outside, but just a latch on the inside. Problem with that is I also have a window in my front door. I think it's reinforced glass. So I'm planning to replace the lock so it requires a key on both sides and keep a key out of reach of all windows on ground level.

2) Do something to create an alert if the window glass is broken (to be installed on the window in my front door). I've poked around and I see there are small wireless alarms that you can attach to the window that will go off if the glass is broken.

3) Install a locking device on the only window that is on ground level. It's not a window I ever open, so locking it seems like the best solution. Again, I may also add an alarm if that one is broken.

Do these alarms work? Anyone used a particular brand that you'd recommend? Is it the kind of thing that has a high risk of misfiring?

Edited to add photo
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

the bastion of safety

Good word usage:)

My vocabulary is SATriffic. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I prefer NRA stickers and loaded weapons (especially in Texas!!)...but to each their own I suppose!:D

In Seattle that would make me *more* of a target. We're a little on the Blue side of things here.:D

PLYWOOD!

Why don't we just go with bars, then? :P

C'mon ... someone's gotta have some legit ideas!

*Lock Engineer* Please remember that if you have a lock that is keyed from both the outside and inside it may make getting out of your house in an emergency a bit more difficult (fire, medical problem, etc...). If you do decide to go that route make sure you have planned exits out of the house that don't take as much effort.

Yep, thus my plan to have a key near the door (but not visible or reachable by someone who breaks the window. That's been one of my hesitations for going in that direction, since that is my only form of ground-level egress.

The real issue though, is that the window itself is large enough that if completely broken, someone could get in quite easily.

simple things then?
trimmed hedges, floodlights on the window, glass breakage detector, dog, loud alarm, alarm service signs?

Well looky there we're back to my original question. :P

I travel far too much to own a dog. Alarm service signs ... not a bad idea. Hedges are fine, lighting is good. And neighbors are quite close and keep an eye on things for me when I'm out of town.

Download the latest security patches.

Are they making FirefoxHome yet?

Yep, thus my plan to have a key near the door (but not visible or reachable by someone who breaks the window. That's been one of my hesitations for going in that direction, since that is my only form of ground-level egress.

Actually, in CA, that's illegal and wouldn't pass a home inspection. There have been many deaths because someone did that and couldn't get in/out in time, so...well, it was codified for keyless need from the inside.

Why not just put another deadbolt lock lower down, so that even if the window gets broken, it can't be reached?

As for the window on the ground floor, one of my favorite tricks is using bougainvilla or climbing rose bushes to make the window both less and more attractive - more attractive because flowers are indeed pretty, and less attractive to the bad guys because thorns are really, really painful and a decent deterrant.

Alternatively, you could get a large, loud dog.

Good luck, and please be safe no matter what you decide to do.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Motion sensors on any outdoor lights.

Yeah, we have the lights back by the garages on timers, as is the light by my door, but since I have no way of knowing that light is on or off unless I'm standing right next to it, timer seems like it's adequate.

We (my neighbors and I) had talked about switching to motion detectors back by the garages. It would likely trip quite often with other neighbors driving down the alley our garages face. I don't know that it would do much to alert us anyway, since everyones' bedrooms are on the third floor.

You DID ask in the bonfire you realize...:S

I know, and I have been given *lots* of great suggestions and amusement, par for the course in Bonfire. Specifically, though, I want to learn more about window alarms. :P:P:P

The real issue though, is that the window itself is large enough that if completely broken, someone could get in quite easily.

I'd put bars over the window as opposed to keying the lock on both sides. Like it's been said already, that can make it hard for YOU to get out in a hurry if you have to!
'Shell