ACMESkydiver

How Much Money to Give an 11 Year old Girl for WA DC Trip...

It's a week-long trip, but the first and last days are mostly just getting on and off of planes...

All meals, tips and tours are included, so the money is for 'incidentals'.

I was thinking I'd like her to have enough to get some snacks and water throughout the day (but she doesn't snack much at all). I also wanted to give her enough to maybe buy a T-shirt or keychains or something for momentos...

And then there's always the 'just in case' stuff...and airport food. :S

I don't want to give her too much, or she'll buy up a whole bunch of souvenirs for all of her cousins and aunts and uncles & crap that people don't need and won't have any fun herself :S. I want her to be SELFISH and just HAVE FUN and enjoy herself for a week.

I was thinking $100. What would you do? More? Less?

I'm posting because I am trying to avoid the treadmill until it's too late to viably work out. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

75.00 bucks. Thats what I would give my 11 yr old son (I really do have an 11 yr old son:)

Bobbi

Last time when Jaleesa Marie went to summer camp, she brought most of her own money for it, and she really is a thrifty spender...she just goes overboard with having to buy something for this cousin, then that cousin, then she can't forget that aunt, then the other aunt, then she has to buy something for the uncle, and yadda yadda yadda...:S Then she ends up buying herself a snickers bar. :|

I got her to buy herself a sweatshirt and baseball cap from camp (and she wears them almost every day :ph34r:) otherwise she wasn't going to get anything accept buying candy for the girls in her cabin. :S

She is far too saintly to be one of my kids!! :o:o
~Jaye

That's $20/day not counting airport food which, as you know is epensive.

Bump it to $200.

OR

Give her 20 and wait for the first phone call.
:P

Instead of worrying about how to get her more money, I thought I might 'hide' an envelope with a bit more in an inside pocket in one for her suitcases...and tell her about it if she called and said she needed it.

Another thing I was thinking about doing is getting her one of those 'kid' cell phones through T-Mobile...it would be $9.99/mo so I'd just do one month (I don't think we'd need to commit to a year since we already have year-long contracts on our 2 phones). Those cute little phones just have like 4 speed-dial numbers on them...so if for ANY reason she and her little girlfriends get separated from their chaperone, she could call me or them...I thought we'd save on the phone bills nightly that way, too. She can just call me on her cell instead of the hotel phone.

-is that going over board? Am I being paranoid now? You just never know...an 11 year old getting separated on a tour wouldn't be unheard of... :|
~Jaye

i would go with 200. I had gone in high school, and there were times that my teacher/class did our own things, an dthat meant spending more money for food. also, if they go to any museums or such that cost money, then she will be fine.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

When I went on those DC trips (three or four total) my mom always gave me $100. I usually brought back at least half of it (and got to keep it!), but the extra was need for that just in case stuff...once one of my friends got separated and had to take a taxi to the hotel. :S
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

How about $75 in cash to her, and then an envelope to the teacher with some additional money so that if there are side trips or restaurants and she runs out of $$, the teacher will have the reserve cash?

Also, I think instead of a phone for a month, don't they have prepaid cell phones? Get one of those, load it up with something like 100 minutes, and you're set.

And no, you're not being paranoid; you're being a Mom.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

If there's extra room in her suitcase, throw in a gallon sized ziploc full of her favorite snack foods from home to put in her suitcase and a small bag to put in her carry-on bag. That will save her so much money in snack food. My kids are so used to me doing this that they actually prefer it now. They get what they like and there's more money to spend on souveniers! ;) The $100 amount sounds pretty good to me.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

How about $75 in cash to her, and then an envelope to the teacher with some additional money so that if there are side trips or restaurants and she runs out of $$, the teacher will have the reserve cash?

Chaperones won't carry anything for the kids, but that would be a GREAT idea if they would!

Also, I think instead of a phone for a month, don't they have prepaid cell phones? Get one of those, load it up with something like 100 minutes, and you're set.

Ohhh...hey I like that idea even better! Thanky! :)

And no, you're not being paranoid; you're being a Mom.

Ciels-
Michele

Hee hee. :$
~Jaye

If there's extra room in her suitcase, throw in a gallon sized ziploc full of her favorite snack foods from home to put in her suitcase and a small bag to put in her carry-on bag. That will save her so much money in snack food. My kids are so used to me doing this that they actually prefer it now. They get what they like and there's more money to spend on souveniers! ;) The $100 amount sounds pretty good to me.

That's a REALLY good idea! Then I can give her food bars (she likes them) that are healthy for her instead of Doritos or candy bars or whatever...
~Jaye

man, I remember my trip to DC when I was in the 8th grade for government class. Seems like forever. The 20 hour bus ride each way sucked monkey balls though. :|

I don't remember how much money I had with me, but it was 1981... However, the best part of the trip was finding my cousin's name on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. That and the Space and Air museum.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was thinking $100. What would you do? More? Less?

Well, a good hooker in DC will run ya about 50 bones so 100 isnt gonna stretch that far.

My suggestion, 500. That will cover the hookers, booze, and weed.

Peace
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

I just realized something......DC is FAR from home!!:o

Wow, this must be HUGE for her AND you!!!!

Bobbi

Yup, you can't get much farther and still be in the same country. :$

I took this trip when I was in 8th grade, and LOVED it. :ph34r: She'll be doing WAY more than I got to do! :)
~Jaye