gweeks

Stabilizer - Canopy gaps

I've notitced on some of the older accuracy type canopies that the stabilizer is not completely attached to the canopy. Instead the stabilizer is attached in 2 or 3 places leaving 2 or 3 large gaps between it and the canopy. Is there a proper term for this set up and can anyone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages of it are?

Just curious. Thanks!

Two disadvantages of split stabilizers is that they are more bulky and must be packed much neater to avoid tension knots with suspension lines.
I have tried knotted stabilizers a couple of times ... didn't much enjoy them ... had to deploy a couple of reserves.

As already said above me they were made that way for a full sink landing. The Para -Plane Cloud even had a vent hole in the middle. If that wasnt strange enough the Vol-Plane also had a slot and flap with a little more brakes you could back up. It even had an hydraulic cylinder with a valve you could stage your opening time.As expected this was pre slider days. The wierdest I saw was the Foil in the early 70,s with the adjustable risers. It was a single riser off your Capewells to a connection up a few inches where a single band went up to your front and rear riser. You would decide before the jump what the winds might be. For high winds make it nose down for penetration, nose up if you wanted more glide. You couldnt change it like Crewdogs friction front riser straps. But then CRW came many years later.As your post stated it was indeed an accuracy canopy.By the way my Unit said it was OK to undo the single stitches that held them on . It was a patent infringement if they didnt sew them up. They also had cross port holes laid out owners could put in with a hot knife but they couldnt, same reason.

disadvantages of split stabilizers... they are more bulky...

How are they more bulky? It seems like it would be the same amount of material as regular stabilizers, but they just have a small gap between the bottom skin of the canopy and the stabilizer. And a hole doesn't weigh anything. Are you talking about reinforcing tape along the extra exposed edge?

How are they more bulky? It seems like it would be the same amount of material as regular stabilizers, but they just have a small gap between the bottom skin of the canopy and the stabilizer. And a hole doesn't weigh anything. Are you talking about reinforcing tape along the extra exposed edge?

Yup, seams and tape always add bulk.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History