Michele

Strange Email

I just received an odd email from BofA, where I don't bank and don't have a credit card.

"Dear Customer,

We have encountered an error in our attempt to create your monthly bank account statement for the credit card you have with us. We have strong reasons to believe that you changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized access to your account. Please use the link below to update your information that you have on file with your Bank of America account. Once you have updated your account details your session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems."

At first I thought it was phishing...and then I clicked the link. It took me to what appeared to be the corporate website for the bank, and when I googled the bank's website, the same link appeared.

I sent them an email to their "abuse" line, and got the typical "we'll look into it" response. I asked them to verify that this is a real issue, as my father does have a credit card that we used over the holidays for a few internet purchases, which is the ***only*** way they'd have this email on file. However, they don't address my father, and they don't indicate which account, or give any information that I can track back and handle.

I've asked for clarification from the bank, but am not sure what to make of this. If there is a problem, I need to get my Dad onto it ASAP. If it's not a problem, then there's no worries...

Not sure what to do...any ideas? Dad does not understand the internet, and to alarm him unnecessarily would be not good. So I'm not exactly sure what to do. Help...and thanks.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

It's not real. If there were a real problem they'd contact you by mail or by phone.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's a scam. They even have an automated one that calls you at home and asks for you to call a phone number to avoid having issues with your account. The phone number given leads to another automated system that asks for your 16 digit account number to verify your account and retrieve your records. Confirmed with BoA, it's a scam and the number is usually only good for about 24 hrs before the scammers turn it off.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That's my instinct, but the link took me to the actual site. Which made me think it was real. The email address checks out, too...both the abuse addy as well as the CS addy (I've forwarded the email to both of them).

If this is phishing, it's a damned good one...

Ciels-
Michele

That's my instinct, but the link took me to the actual site. Which made me think it was real. The email address checks out, too...both the abuse addy as well as the CS addy (I've forwarded the email to both of them).

If this is phishing, it's a damned good one...

Ciels-
Michele

They do that. You'll think you're at BofA. Open a new browser window, go directly to BofA, and try to log in as normal. Dollars to donuts you have no problems whatsoever.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Can't log in, though, because I don't have an account...

I did go to a new window and went to the website...and it's identical - including links - to the one in the email I received. That sort of duplication would be hard to do, no?

Sigh...good grief. Maybe I'll just call them and see what they've got to say. I have all the info on Dad's account, but am not sure that it's appropriate to do so (or that I can even do it), since I'm not Dad. But I damned sure am not going to email them...or give info to someone I don't have paper on, you know?

Ciels-
Michele

I did go to a new window and went to the website...and it's identical - including links - to the one in the email I received. That sort of duplication would be hard to do, no?

It's very easy to duplicate a website and make it look authentic.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

It's a scam. If you don't have an account, why would they be emailing you? Don't lose ANY sleep over this, and whatever you do DON'T enter any information on the site that email links you to.

I get these things all the time, ostensibly from companies I do business with. I just delete 'em. They aren't legit.

If you really look closely, you'll probably find evidence that it is a fake site, even though most of the links are real. Compare the URL for the real BofA site with the one for the fake site.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

If you don't have an account, why would they be emailing you?

True dat. And that's my initial reaction. And I couldn't figure out how they'd've gotten ahold of my email address...except for the fact that for Christmas I used the 'net to buy some stuff for Dad on the 'net, and my email address was needed on those sites...

But that still doesn't explain how BofA got my email...

I'm going to let it ride, and see what happens, I guess. It just bothers me that Dad could be in a jam, you know?

Ciels-
Michele

I just received an odd email from BofA, where I don't bank and don't have a credit card.

"Dear Customer,

We have encountered an error in our attempt to create your monthly bank account statement for the credit card you have with us. We have strong reasons to believe that you changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized access to your account. Please use the link below to update your information that you have on file with your Bank of America account. Once you have updated your account details your session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems."

At first I thought it was phishing...and then I clicked the link. It took me to what appeared to be the corporate website for the bank, and when I googled the bank's website, the same link appeared.

I sent them an email to their "abuse" line, and got the typical "we'll look into it" response. I asked them to verify that this is a real issue, as my father does have a credit card that we used over the holidays for a few internet purchases, which is the ***only*** way they'd have this email on file. However, they don't address my father, and they don't indicate which account, or give any information that I can track back and handle.

I've asked for clarification from the bank, but am not sure what to make of this. If there is a problem, I need to get my Dad onto it ASAP. If it's not a problem, then there's no worries...

Not sure what to do...any ideas? Dad does not understand the internet, and to alarm him unnecessarily would be not good. So I'm not exactly sure what to do. Help...and thanks.

Ciels-
Michele

hey i got the same one not too long ago!!! Also no account there. Usually, I just make up false information, and see if it goes though... If it does, then some scammers just got unjustifiable information that is false. I like messing with them :D
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Can't log in, though, because I don't have an account...

:S:S:S

Look, it's Phishing, this stuff is trivial to do. It's their in their browser, they can COPY the site and make it look perfect very easily.

Look at the URL in the bar, make sure it ENDS with the right site URL, start from the END on the right and look backwards for a website. This used to be an ie flaw where this didn't work but they patched it.

Banks, paypal etc. NEVER send this account stuff out.

If you ever get a notice then go directly to the site in question, NEVER NEVER click on the link. Any notification will be right there in your online account. If you don't have an account with the site in question, well duh!

If you don't have an account with the site in question, well duh!

Erm...well...yeah. Except, as I've explained above, there are other circumstances, and am open about the fact that I actually don't know everything in the world. I don't appreciate your saying "well duh."
Ciels-
Michele

EDIT: Take a deep breath and step away from the computer.

Oh Michelle, didn't you realize that those who pop off with their know-it-all smartass comments don't usually bother reading the posts they comment on?

Or they have reading comprehension problems.

I loved your response, btw!!

B|

Oh Michelle, didn't you realize that those who pop off with their know-it-all smartass comments don't usually bother reading the posts they comment on?

Or they have reading comprehension problems.

I loved your response, btw!!

B|

It's like being savaged by a pack of chihuahuas.

You go girl!

Present it. I'll be at Perris next weekend.

Can't. I've got three major exams the next week, so I'll be on my happy ass studying my sad eyes out.

And yes, Sartre, I've come to know that. But, hey, it's like....gimme a burrito supreme or something, hold the rodent sauce.

Ciels-
Michele