JackC

Mountian Bikes

OK, in order to increase the fitness and decrease the fatness I've decided to get a mountain bike. I might even find a small hill (or medium sized lump) to ride it on, I'll build up to a mountain later. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about mtb's. Anyone got any recommendations? I reckon my budget will be $600-700.

First I would go to your nearest bike store and see if they have any deals on last years models. There is a lot of mark up on bikes and you might be able to land a sweet deal. These bikes are my recommendation (in my favorite order):

Gary Fisher Tassajara:
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=genesis&bike=Tassajara

Specialize Rockhopper:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=07Rockhopper

Trek 6000:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1032600&f=18

I am a big fan of Gary Fisher bikes which is why I own one. I really enjoy how they feel on the trail and I think they handle very well. I use to work at a pretty big bicycle shop and road just about all the bikes that came into the shop. I think for the money you can't go wrong with any of them.

I spent nearly two years mountain biking and over three years cycling.

You can get a low end mountain bike with limited accessories and suspension for what you have set your budget to. If loosing weight is your ultimate goal then investing a little amount into a mountain bike to see if you even like the sport would be your best bet so you are on the right track so far.

My old Mountain bike I bought in 2000 I spent 2500 dollars on and my road bike I purchased in 2004 I had invested over 4000 dollars into.

For the pure weight loss perspective road biking (cycling) is much more beneficial. It is much more aerobic than its anaerobic counterpart of the constant uphill climb. You will however get in better shape and loose weight from either side but road bikes will eventually keep you more trim.

My best suggestion would be to go to your local pro bike shop (not a local sporting goods store) and talk to someone who really knows their head from their ass about bikes, road and mountain. Have them give you a few suggestions, options, and FIT you to whatever bike you purchase which can be a vital aspect especially in cycling.

Hope this little bit helps you. Feel free to PM me if you would like any more information.
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder

The higher end Giants are nice bikes too. A 21" frame would probably fit you well but I do suggest trying each bike in that size before you buy. Any good bike shop should make sure that you fit correctly on the bike and will adjust the seat to the right height. Remember that buying a bike is like buying a car, test drive all of them before you buy. And when you are test riding them don't be afraid to run through all the gears, jump off a curb, hit the brakes (soft and hard), get a real feel for what the bike is going to do.

Agreed it would most likly fit you but like said before and you will hear it again, get on the bike, they should let you take it for a test ride and when you agree to purchase they should pro fit it to you.

Have fun and don't forget to buy a helmet!
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder

Also keep in mind that many manufacturers use the same frame for several pricepoints on their models, so if later you decide that mountain biking is for you, you can upgrade the components (shocks, drive train, etc) as your performance and budget allow. My Cannondale Prophet is available in models ranging from around $1000 to $5000. Same frame. Something as simple as a handlebar change can take a bike from a grueling chore to ride to an all day pleasure.:)

Yeah I noticed that. I was wondering is it best to buy a lower range frame with good (ish) parts or go for a better frame with lower quality parts?

In my price range, the big deal is disc brakes. I have two options, a good frame with V brakes or a not so good frame with discs. The example being a Specialized Rockhopper with V's or a Hardrock with discs.

I could upgrade later, but I'd need new hubs (and/or wheels) to bolt the disc rotors to. I suppose there is always secret option number three, save up more.

What do you plan on riding in? V-brakes are fine for dry trails, street riding, and anything else where mud or water isn't a concern. Disc brakes are a must if you plan on riding on muddy trails or anywhere else that your rim might be constantly wet. I usually don't see high quality parts on low end frames, it usually goes:
Low end frame-lower quality parts
Higher end frame-lower quality parts
Higher end frame-higher quality parts.

Go for the frame every time - the nature of mountain biking means that you will trash parts whether they are high end or not, so if you make sure you get the best frame you can afford, then upgrade components when stuff starts breaking.

As for V's vs disks, a well set up set of V's is still an awesome brake setup and willl pitch you over the front if you are heavy handed. They can be lighter too.

Having said that, my new avid hydraulic discs are awesome B|
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Specialized and Trek are good choices in that price segment, IMHO.

I have a Trek for street use, and a Specialized for the forest, and I love both.

Get to try them and get a feel for what you like. And don't try the expensive ones that are twice your budget, I did that, and of course the expensive one was better. Way better. :S

I have only v brakes on mine, and I use my street bike a lot in wet weather, and never have any problems with that. I wouldn't make disc brakes a priority when choosing a new bike.

Hope this was of any help!

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Yeah I was looking at the XTC LX which looks pretty good. Wiggle are in Portsmouth though and I'll be buggered if I'm driving that far to try it first. Never mind, I have a plan that involves dangling a carrot in front of my local shop and then buying mail order. Sometimes I just hate myself.:$

Oh, and riding a mountain bike makes your bum sexy. It's true;)

Just ride it regurlarly and you'll get beautiful muscles.

Fitting a cycle computer is also fun, it doesn't need to be expensive, just as long as it records how fast you go and how far you've gone. Fun to know that you've moved at 34 mph on a road w/o asphalt in the middle of a forest. Just don't look at it when you're going that fast.

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I wouldn't make disc brakes a priority when choosing a new bike.

Agreed. Disc brakes are heavier than v-brakes, so if you're a bit of a weight weenie that might be important. You can also pick a frame that has the ability to convert to disc brakes in the future.

I got a Trek due to the rock solid frame with a lifetime warranty. Over the last couple years I have upgraded some components and now have a really nice bike.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Yeah I noticed that. I was wondering is it best to buy a lower range frame with good (ish) parts or go for a better frame with lower quality parts?

In my price range, the big deal is disc brakes. I have two options, a good frame with V brakes or a not so good frame with discs. The example being a Specialized Rockhopper with V's or a Hardrock with discs.

I could upgrade later, but I'd need new hubs (and/or wheels) to bolt the disc rotors to. I suppose there is always secret option number three, save up more.

I have a Specialized Hardrock, it came standard with disk brakes in your price range and I will never go back to V brakes, the rest of the components were fairly low end and over the last few years I've upgraded pretty much everything. The frame isn't as light as Derek's Specialized Stumpjumper but then again that bike is set up for adventure racing and was well over $1000 and has tons of upgrades done to it as well.

As for disk brakes, the stopping power is so much smoother, it's like braking a car where you can modulate the braking better. Plus if you are going to ride in the mountains on off-road trails, they make life so much easier. Mud, water, dust, nothing affects them, you have the same braking power no matter how caked up your rims are.

BTW...I live in CO so 90% of my riding is off road, if I'm road biking I have a Giant TCR road bike.
Fly it like you stole it!

I wouldn't make disc brakes a priority when choosing a new bike.

Agreed. Disc brakes are heavier than v-brakes, so if you're a bit of a weight weenie that might be important. You can also pick a frame that has the ability to convert to disc brakes in the future.

I got a Trek due to the rock solid frame with a lifetime warranty. Over the last couple years I have upgraded some components and now have a really nice bike.

Coverting to disc later on can be expensive. I think it woud better to get it as the option now. My bike came with V-brakes at first and then I switched over to disc but if isn't wasn't for my rather large discount that I got (for working at a shop) I don't think I would have done it.

Its pretty much a given that buying higher end components as part of the package will cost less than upgrading individual parts later, so if there are specific components you know you want, buy as part of the original purchase if possible. However, spreading the upgrade pain over time may not hurt so much as the sticker shock of doing it all at once.. and you may find that the lower end components you thought would not be satisfactory may just work out fine if you are not riding all the time.

As far as the disc/V controversy, what they said about wet conditions is exactly right, you don't need to start applying a few seconds ahead of time to dry out the rims to get some stopping power, and on long descents, your hands will thank you to have the power of the disc. However, discs do require more maintenance, and cheap discs can be a real pain in the ass and on the ears if they start squealing as they get hot or dirty.