Mostly_Harmless

How much does a jumpsuit matter?

How much does a jumpsuit matter? I am not talking about wearing one/not wearing one but the quality of a jumpsuit. I was thinking of upgrading my current freak'n'suit to a new matter suit and see that they have 3 different styles of freefly suits (regular, pro, comp). What are the big difference in them? Are they really going to make you fly differently?

A jumpsuit can make a difference. It won't make you fly much differently, but it can make learning and refining your flying easier- for instance, after 500 jumps on a baggier suit I know for sure that I want my next one to be tighter, with less flappage around the legs and arms.

That said, you should remember three things:
1)Dress for success.
2)Quality of construction makes a difference after a few hundred jumps.
3)Make sure the suit matches the rest of your gear.

How much does a jumpsuit matter? I am not talking about wearing one/not wearing one but the quality of a jumpsuit. I was thinking of upgrading my current freak'n'suit to a new matter suit and see that they have 3 different styles of freefly suits (regular, pro, comp). What are the big difference in them? Are they really going to make you fly differently?

I was told by someone who flew very well indeed that the way he had developed his level of skill was by flying without a jumpsuit. After spending a summer where he made a great number of jumps with no more than sneakers, shorts and a t-shirt (and a rig to round things out), he found that he could adapt to pretty much any jumpsuit in short order.

Though I cannot claim his level of ability, I did take his advice and spent a decent amount of air time without a lot of cloth between me and the air.

As far as what constitutes the ideal jumpsuit, it seems to be largely a matter of taste. I am not big on a lot of kentuckygofasters - I think booties, swoop cords and the like are a royal pain in the ass.

If you are good enough, it does not seem to make a hell of a lot of difference from where I sit. Tiger Woods could do better on a golf course with croquet mallet than I could with the most expensive set of clubs made, and Jack Jeffries could fly circles around me if he was wearing some old coveralls and I had the most exquisite fitted jumpsuit in creation. I'm okay with that.

A friend, whose normal shotgun is in the $10,000 range demonstrated that he could hit any target thrown with any shotgun in the rac. He could do just as well with a used $100 Sears bolt-action.

When asked why he used a $10,000 shotgun when a $100 unit would do as well, his answer made sense. He pointed out that the reason he hit everything was because he did it an awful lot. Since he spent as much of his time shooting as he did, it made sense to use a shotgun that he liked. He really liked the Perazzi, and could afford it, so that's what he used.

Thus, if you find a jumpsuit that fits well, flies well and you like it, that is the jumpsuit to own. If it happens to be inexpensive, so much the better. If it is expensive, but you spend a lot of time jumping in it, bite the bullet and get it.

As an aside, if your choice of jumpsuit only lasts a season before it's ready to be retired, it may still be the appropriate choice. If you can afford it, simply replace the worn one with new and carry on. Quality is not always synonymous with longevity; some of the most expensive tires have only a fraction of the life expectancy of common passenger car tires - but they only have to last until the end of the race to pay for themselves.

In any event, since it's your money, spend it on what you like.

Blue skies,

Winsor