Big crystals

These selenite (gypsum) crystals were found during development of the Naica Mine in Chihuahua, Mexico at a depth of 1000 feet.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

This looks like a photo shop to me. It would not be the first time I have ever been wrong though
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

This looks like a photo shop to me. It would not be the first time I have ever been wrong though

A geologist sent the pics to me and I had to resize them. Here is the text from the email and te rest of the pics sized a little bigger:

"This is the crystal cave of giants found in the Naica Mine, Chihuahua Mexico. These are Selenite crystals (gypsum) and are the largest crystals ever discovered. They are 1000 feet down in a limestone host rock where they are mining for lead, zinc and silver. These crystals were formed by hydrothermal fluids emanating from the magma chambers below. The miners had to drill through the Naica fault, which they were worried would flood the mine, and this is what they discovered. This mine also contains the Cave of Swords, another collection of large gypsum crystals."

EDIT: Here is a site about the mine:

http://www.canyonsworldwide.org/crystals/index.html

http://giantcrystals.strahlen.org/america/naica.htm

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

These selenite (gypsum) crystals were found during development of the Naica Mine in Chihuahua, Mexico at a depth of 1000 feet.

Isn't that what they power Federation starships with?
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Are they for real? they dont look it

The pictures are VERY real. The cave they were found in is profiled in the Feb.2007 issue of the NSS News, published by the National Speleological Society. Due to the temps inside the cave (45-48 C) combined with 100% humidity, the people who mapped this cave did so in an environment that was very intolerant of mistakes. If they stayed too long, intentionally or by accident, they could die from heatstroke or literally cook to death.

Please tell me those areas of the mining operation are going to be preserved. :|

According to the article in NSS News, the Naica caves were discovered in 1912 and the mining company almost immediately closed off all access to avoid pillage and accidents. Very few people have had the chance to visit, almost all have been there on research.

The crystals formed underwater and were submerged until mining operations started. The caves were discovered by accident from inside the mine. Once mining operations cease, including dewatering operations, the caves will flood again. This is expected to happen in a few years.

The crystals formed underwater and were submerged until mining operations started. The caves were discovered by accident from inside the mine. Once mining operations cease, including dewatering operations, the caves will flood again. This is expected to happen in a few years.

Does anyone know: is the composition of the water that will refill the caves such that the crystals would continue to grow, or would they be eroded?

So much of our world is about stuff that used to be great but is now being worn away, either naturally or by the forces of mankind. It'd be neat to know we could preserve one small place in the world where something like this could (even on only an incredibly slow "geological" timeline) continue to be even greater a spectacle than it was when we found it.

Elvisio "end speech" Rodriguez

Does anyone know: is the composition of the water that will refill the caves such that the crystals would continue to grow, or would they be eroded?

So much of our world is about stuff that used to be great but is now being worn away, either naturally or by the forces of mankind. It'd be neat to know we could preserve one small place in the world where something like this could (even on only an incredibly slow "geological" timeline) continue to be even greater a spectacle than it was when we found it.

Elvisio "end speech" Rodriguez

The cave was flooded by hydrothermal fluids. The relatively low number of crystals found points to them being formed in an environment of minimum oversaturation. The same fluids that formed the crystals are likely to flood the caves again. Whether the crystals will continue to grow after that or not is uncertain.