Brian425

Plumbing question - 1/2 to 3/4 supply lines

I'm re-doing the bathroom. I want to switch to 3/4 supply lines to feed the shower. I was told that even if I only change the line in the wall, I will still see some gain. I was wondering how much of an increase I will see. If I am able to flow 5 gallons/minute now (fictional number) will I increase to 5.5 gallons per hour, more, less?

I plan on installing a shower head that flows 5 gpm and four body sprays that flow 2.5 gpm.

I also need to figure out how to drain the tub with all the water flowing.

Any insights would be appreciated.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

If your basic supply lines leading up to the 3/4 part are still 1/2, you won't see much change assuming there was no blockage to begin with. It's basic physics, the 3/4 won't flow more than the 1/2 puts in. If you replumb with 3/4 all the way back to the supply, then you will see a marked change.

I'm re-doing the bathroom. I want to switch to 3/4 supply lines to feed the shower. I was told that even if I only change the line in the wall, I will still see some gain. I was wondering how much of an increase I will see. If I am able to flow 5 gallons/minute now (fictional number) will I increase to 5.5 gallons per hour, more, less?

I plan on installing a shower head that flows 5 gpm and four body sprays that flow 2.5 gpm.

I also need to figure out how to drain the tub with all the water flowing.

Any insights would be appreciated.

I hope your water heater can keep up with the demand.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I did a 75 gallon hot water heater last year. It is only my Eva, me and the baby.

I know I won't see a huge gain. I was told at 2 plumbing supply stores that I would see about a 10% increase. Changing the whole run to 3/4 is not really an option. Just hoping I can get the most out of what I have.

The drain may be the real limiting factor. All that water trying to go down a little tub drain.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Brian - if you plan on running all these shower outlets at the same time it might be disappointing. The 3/4 will give more water assuming the upstream is not the problem. Adding pressure will boost flow but water in a pipe has a lot of friction. If you have a PRV in the system you might consider raising the pressure.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I may consider only 2 body sprays. I don't know of any way to increase water pressure.

The 4 body sprays and a big shower head already has me a little concerned about the drain in the tub.

Well, it looks like more research this weeked.

get some buckets, measure the volume and test the drain, let the water run for awhile to see if the lines fill then start supplementing with the buckets to simulate the increased flow
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.