Misslmperfect

help me with my paper! =(

i seem to get the answer to every question i ever ask here, so here i am.

i have a paper due in my sociology class on a modern day social/class conflict. specifically, i have to do a conflict analysis. i need 2 social groups - a dominant and an oppressed. in class we discussed the US fashion industry, undocumented workers, producer vs consumer, etc. i am having a hard time coming up with an original topic. everything i want to use is already being done. HELP!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Potential skydiving paradigms - Jumpmasters and students? DZO and fun-jumpers? (although in both of those the "oppressed" isn't really oppressed)

Military paradigm - Drill Instructors/Training Instructors and recruits.

Medical paradigm - Attending physicians and interns. Insurance companies and victims (patients and physicians both)

i like your idea about insurance companies v. victims! i was actually just working through the idea of uninsured v. insured. i have 2 days for research and completion so i need to stick with what i know - a combination of these 2 ideas could work perfectly:)
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

i seem to get the answer to every question i ever ask here, so here i am.

i have a paper due in my sociology class on a modern day social/class conflict. specifically, i have to do a conflict analysis. i need 2 social groups - a dominant and an oppressed. in class we discussed the US fashion industry, undocumented workers, producer vs consumer, etc. i am having a hard time coming up with an original topic. everything i want to use is already being done. HELP!

Sure, how about this:

Freeflyers = Dominant
RWs = Oppressed

:D
Gravity Waits for No One.

I'd disagree with "Insurance v. Victim." THere are WAY too many variables.

Why not go simple and have some fun? The sheep and the wolf. Go cartoonish, even - Elmer Fudd v. Bugs Bunny. COmparatively modern, social, class related. Spin it.

I mean, you could go on and on - not only could you analyze the issues, but it'd be a fun read for the prof!:)
I'm telling you, I started going WAY out there in my stuff in college, and once I REALLY though outside the box, I got much better grades. Writing about how Hamlet wasn't indecisive - he was a pragmatist. I denounced Galileo as unnecessarily flamboyant. I even wrote a final paper (and got an A Plus) titled, "Socrates was a Pompous Asshole."

Go beyond what everybody else would argue. Think "drive-thru fast-food restaurant worker v. customer" or "Fraternity v. Feminist" or even something like "professor v. student" and lightheartedly discuss the hierarchical relationship power/oppressed issues surrounding this assignment.:)
By the way - I'm dead serious. Have fun with it!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If you do medical uninsured v. insured you can do look at quite a few angles....

the people with insurance have their ins. company negotiating with doctors and hospitals for the rate that you pay. If you are uninsured, and you go to the ER--you actually pay more than the insured people would be billed---to make up for the other people who are unisured who can't pay (and probably for the lost funds that they don't get because of the negotiations with the companies
).
People who are really poor and can't pay usually get charity care at a non-profit hospital...but they also use the emergency room as their primary care which is more expensive. So all of those costs come down to everone else in the end.

Another thought is that prob about 20% of our medical costs are the overhead for the insurance companies.

This site might have whatever stats etc. you might need [url] http://covertheuninsured.org/

Hope this helps....sorry to give so much info...but I work with uninsured people who need medical care!

Jerry, I'm loving your suggestions. And I'm taking you seriously, too.

I mean, I just wrote a paper on why studying algebra is good for college students. Anyone who knows me knows how much I can't stand math...and yet, that was the assignment. So instead of writing it like everyone else, I wrote it as a conversation between me and another student...and why algebra can help one achieve one's goals.

And I got a 98.5% on it, and the professor wants to use it as a model; I said no problem, but please explain where I lost the 1.5 points. LOL, I'm waiting for the answer.

To the OP - do something that isn't necessarily a chore. Do something funny, or overblown. Explain that other topics were taken, and since you've recently been seeing the Geico cavemen commercials, delve into the oppression they are experiencing as guest commentators and on a shrink's couch.

Have fun; if you can have fun with it, the professor will have fun, too...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I kinda, like KBord's idea's all great so I won't even post my own, & Lawrocket's are cool too, assuming your professors got a sense of humor!:DB|
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}