Squeak

Tom Waits

OK
I have liked Tom Waites for decades but never owned anything of his, so I"m after recomendations, what are the quintessential must have Tom Waites Albums?:)If you are going to ragg on him dont bother I dont give a toss what your opinion is I'm after sugestions from people who DO like his work. :)Not Tosser input
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My favorite Tom Waites album is way old from 1975 called "Nighthawks At The Diner". Its like songs about people who've fallen to such a level you hope you never sink to and sleazy situations you hopefully will never find yourself in. Vintage Waites at his best:D:D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Definitely get "Rain Dogs", it's a real beauty and has 19 songs, including "Downtown Train", which even became sort of a hit when some chick singer recorded it in the eighties. ("Will I see you tonight/On a downtown train", etc.)

TW also portrays Renfield, the bug eating madman in Francis Coppola's 1992 "Dracula" film.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Rain Dogs
Heart of Saturday Night
Alice
Mule Variations

So far, the only one I really don't like is Blood Money, because there are too many songs where he sounds like a giant troll with a broken calliope. There are two or three good songs on that one too, though.

Edited to add:

OMG, I forgot about Orphans and Used Songs. Those are great!

Definitely get "Rain Dogs", it's a real beauty and has 19 songs, including "Downtown Train", which even became sort of a hit when some chick singer recorded it in the eighties. ("Will I see you tonight/On a downtown train", etc.)

Wasn't Downtown Train recorded by Rod Stewart in the 80s?

Wasn't Downtown Train recorded by Rod Stewart in the 80s?

Now that you mention it, I think Roddy did it too. It's a wonderful song.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

My favorite Tom Waites album is way old from 1975 called "Nighthawks At The Diner". Its like songs about people who've fallen to such a level you hope you never sink to and sleazy situations you hopefully will never find yourself in. Vintage Waites at his best:D:D

God I know this song in my heart, I live it....

All my friends are married
Every Tom and Dick and Harry
You must strong if you're to go it alone
Heres to the bachelors and the bowery bums
And those that feel that they're the ones
That are better off without a wife
I been sleep in till the crack noon
Midnight howlin' at a moon
Going out when I want to
And I comin' home when I please
Don't have ask permission
I wannna go out fish'n
Never have to ask for the keys... no

And of course the intro...

I'm not weird about or anything, I don't tie myself up first, I just spend a little time with myself...
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The Black Rider

If you listen to the album, you have hope. If you ever saw it on stage, you'd be torn between tearing your eyes out and continuing to watch, much like a train wreck. Seriously, I'm NOT kidding. At least half the audience walked out at intermission and never returned.

It is musically interesting though. I definately recommend.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The Black Rider

If you listen to the album, you have hope. If you ever saw it on stage, you'd be torn between tearing your eyes out and continuing to watch, much like a train wreck. Seriously, I'm NOT kidding. At least half the audience walked out at intermission and never returned.

It is musically interesting though. I definately recommend.

Tom Waits and Willaim Burough, DAMN that would be interesting, was there ever a film production done?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No film yet. If there ever is I sure as hell hope they fix some of the staging issues although a film director can pretty much get away with murdering previous versions in favor of something that will sell slightly better.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver