fcajump

Holding T-Student's Hand - cameraman question

While watching this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-5lvNjveQ&feature=related

I got to thinking... the students grip on the cameraman's hand is quite firm and she is very reluctant to let go. Now I know that opening will cure that, but at what potential injury to the student and/or camera flier?

As a TI it was beat into me (for good reason) to not let the student grab my hands, but I was curious if any camera fliers have had a student that didn't let go until there was pain/injury/etc?

Just a thought leading to questions...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

As a TI, you have to be within arms reach of all of your students, good or bad. As a camera flyer, you can judge how the student is reacting to freefall, and approach accordingly.

If you do want to dock, make sure that either you grab their wrist, or you hold their hand, but just their fingertips, like you would shake hands with a high-society type lady. This way, you are in control, and can release at any time.

Students are like stray dogs. Some are friendly, some look friendly but don't like people in their immediate space, and some are just dirty, flea-ridden mongrels who should be filmed from odd angles and with backlighting so you can't see their face.

Am I correctly seeing that the vid was watching a sniveling tandem pair, didn't track away from beneath them and then deployed his canopy pointed back under them? There HAVE been fatalities because of this and I've seen video of a collision avoided by mere feet for the same reason.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Students are like stray dogs. Some are friendly, some look friendly but don't like people in their immediate space, and some are just dirty, flea-ridden mongrels who should be filmed from odd angles and with backlighting so you can't see their face.

CLASSIC! :D:D:D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

As a TI, you have to be within arms reach of all of your students, good or bad. As a camera flyer, you can judge how the student is reacting to freefall, and approach accordingly.

If you do want to dock, make sure that either you grab their wrist, or you hold their hand, but just their fingertips, like you would shake hands with a high-society type lady. This way, you are in control, and can release at any time.

Haha yeah I like that!

As for me, i dock on tandems sometimes and have never had a problem with ending the dock on even the most deathgrip driven student I have jumped with. You really have a lot of leverage to get them to let go of you. The TI not so much which is why I think it's more sketchy when a student somehow grabs a TI.

Still it comes down to grabbing them in the right way and honestly I stick mostly to like a high-five or something similar.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I had one interesting experience with this. I took my wife’s mother for a tandem. My wife, an experienced skydiver, (instructor) geeked it. She came in and took a grip on her mother. At pull time I waived off and my wife tried to turn and track away, but mom wouldn’t let her go. Lots of shaking and beating of her hand finally broke the grip. Since then I don’t like people docking on my students.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

she is very reluctant to let go.

I must be watching a different video than you are, because I see the videographer's fingers gripping the student's hand the entire time... right up until they separate. I think she was just following the camera guy's lead. He releases and she does the same.